1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

anyone know what the deal is?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Aug 7, 2005.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i just bought a sulky for my belt drive bobcat. its excellent on hills when i'm in 1st or 2nd speed. anything higher and it wont pull. any suggestions? thanks for the replies. :waving:
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

The weight on the drive with the sulky and the overall uphill travel may be too much to do in a higher gear and the belt might be slipping. I don't know, my eXmark, i can mow as fast as i want and the thing pulls me. My 2 cents.
  3. Nathan 281

Nathan 281 LawnSite Member
    from MN

Tighten the belt form engine to tranny also check tranny to wheel
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Also, get yourself some belt dressing from your local automotive store. This stuff will do wonders. Just a little teeny squirt on each side (front and back) of your drivebelt, and you willl trip out on the grip and pull power it has. Be careful, though. This stuff makes it TOUCHY. Your mower will literally jump when you let out the handles. Very precise.
  5. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

New drive belts should help.
  6. lawnwizards

youre not talking about the stuff for squeaky belts are you?
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The old Snappers WB belt drives would hardly pull the mowers on hills. Like the others said tighten up the belt underneath the motor, put on new drive belts. The next thing you can do is put more force on the drive belts, add another spring. Then if you need more pull take a punch and put timples in the belt surface on the drive pulleys. And if that don't work get a hydro.
  8. lawnwizards

thats the plan for next year... just gotta get through this year first. :)
  9. lawnwizards

anyone know what this stuff is called?
  10. jim d.

jim d. LawnSite Member

Yeah, it's simply called belt dressing. You can buy it by the can at most auto parts stores. Just ask the counter man.