Anyone Know what this Is On my Cummings Diesel?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Daner, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Need help on this...for some reason this part is drawing power all the time (short)....My batterys were dead flat this morning.
    So I have it disconected for now ...from the battery...It starts ok...wondering what it is ...any one know??
    Thanks in advance.

dodge cummings short 1.jpg

2. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

on my 03 it is set up a little differently, but i believe it is a sensor for some of the injection system.

3. Daner

Its got 2 fairly heavy wires running to 2 terminals on it. and they look like they got hot.

Its a 2002

Thanks for the reply.

Any one else???
    I'm wondering if i can run the truck with it diconected ..as i do now...it still runs when i take the wire off the battery.

4. Daner

Its got 2 fairly heavy wires running to 2 terminals on it. and they look like they got hot.

Its a 2002

Thanks for the reply.

Any one else???
    I'm wondering if i can run the truck with it disconected ..as i do now...it still runs when i take the wire off the battery.

5. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like your MAP sensor

6. Daner

Ok I bite...whats a MAP sensor??...and thanks for your reply.

I just plowed all around my shop,with it disconnected from the battery...

Could this be some kind of anti corrosion device??

I need this truck to plow approx 50 lane ways in the morning...and all the mechanics AROUND HERE don't work on Sat.:hammerhead: ...anyway...all the advice is greatly appreciated

7. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

If it's got heavy wire going to it, it's not a sensor. Could it be some kind of intake manifold heater?

8. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Go online. Google it. Thats how I find out a lot of info. on my own trucks.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Your best bet on short notice would likely be to check out the Dodge version of Lawnsite, here:
    Dodge Forum

You'll likely have to register a User ID and post the same question in the appropriate section, but that's where I get all the assistance I need for my '95 D-2500 (which is gas, unfortunately).

Also my Haynes manual only covers me up to 2001, but I am thinking if you look under a section covering the valve cover, it might tell you what that part is called (but I'm guessing that big thing with DODGE written on it is a valve cover, idk).

You could also try pulling diagnostic codes with it disconnected.

Closest thing I show is an Air Temperature Sensor, but that's on 94-98 Cummins.
    From what I can tell, the MAP sensor is towards the back, where those 3 wire harnesses are.
    This is all under Chapter 6 of my Haynes manual: Emissions and engine control systems (if that helps).

If it is the ATS, it's probably no big deal other than your mpg will suffer some.

10. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

try turning the key on 3 times then leave it on. It should check for codes and display them on the odometer.