Anyone know what weed this is?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by jrayb39667, Jun 6, 2014.

1. jrayb39667

jrayb39667 LawnSite Member

I do not have a license to use chemicals nor will I be treating this. Where I live there are no companies that treat lawns. I am going to give advise to my customer on how to treat this problem. The yard is a mix of St Augustine and centipede. Can anyone tell me what it is and how it should be treated?

2. jrayb39667

Had to resize pic to get it to open

Attached Files:

3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

not sure but you have to be careful when treating st. augustine or centipede since they are really weeds themselves and not grass. many weed killers will also kill those types of grasses or damage them. sometimes you can still use them but you just have to mix it up watered down a bit more. sometimes it can turn the grass a yellow color when using it on these types of grasses.

usually with centipede or st. augustine you don't have to worry about weeds though as they will eventually choke them out. you might could just fertilize the grass and see if that works.

4. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

5. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

6. jrayb39667

it's Dichondra. Thanks guys. I'm gonna tell her that she needs to get someone licensed to treat this. If she does it she'll probably kill the whole lawn lol.

7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Step 1)
    Round up curb to curb.

Step 2)
    harley rake 2 weeks later

Step 3)
    Install a new lawn that isn't St. A.

:)

8. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

Read some labels. There are several herbicides for turf with warnings not to use them on dichondra lawns.

9. jrayb39667

LOL this'll never happen. I hear stories about how this use to be a field that they groomed for years and years before her husband passed away. She loves St. Augustine.

10. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

"where I live there are no companies that treat lawns"

I think you've found your niche market.

Please invite me to join you in your Caribbean summer home when you become a millionaire.