Anyone know where to buy a fig tree in Northern NJ?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by mapleleaf, Aug 5, 2009.

1. mapleleaf

mapleleaf LawnSite Member

We have a potential client that really wants a fig tree. They are in Bergen county NJ. I'm not positive how well a fig will fruit there, but we'll tell them to wrap in winter. I'm starting to think the reason I can't find a nursery that sells fig trees, is that it is not a good tree for surviving in the area. Anyone in NJ ever have luck with fig trees? Thanks!

2. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

you need to bury them in the ground over the winter. Find a large commercial nursery and get what you need already.

3. mapleleaf

I know I've heard of digging it up and resting it on it's side, covering with leaves, etc. for the winter. Makes me nervous, since it's like a transplant, you hope works out ok. I've also heard of keeping them in a container, and bringing them in a garage, but I imagine in a container it won't get very big. I did check quite a few NJ wholesale nurseries with no luck, that's why I posted here, hoping someone knows of a place that has figs. Thanks!

4. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

If you still looking try John's Home & Garden in Newfoundland, Birch Hill Nursery in Wayne or Cedar Hill Nursery in Wayne. Your best bet is with Cedar Hill they have several locations Wayne, Mahwah, Salem and a huge selection. John's & Birch Hill might have the tree as well.

5. mapleleaf

I'll have to call over to John's, haven't bought from they yet. I have Cedar Hill's book, and didn't see a Fig listed in it, maybe they just didn't put it in their book. Not sure if I have Birch Hill's book or not, have to check into. The bid on this job has been pushed back per the clients, so I have some time to investigate further. Thanks!

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

We have figs all over the place out here .... damn weed IMO. Container planting is your only option if you are in the wrong zone. Order it online in about 2 months or so when bare root stock becomes available.

7. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member