1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone know why backpack blowers are going for so much on E-pay?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Dunn's, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

Just wondering because we have been watching e-pay for a few weeks. For blowers and they are all going for $200.00 plus when it only costs $299.00-$399.00 new.

I just don't understand why you would pay so much for a machine that is always abused. By not using correct gas mixture or leaving old gas in it. being thrown around, dropped off trucks, runover,etc,etc....

Sorry just a rant. just wanted to pick up some back up machines and I would definately buy new before paying $50.00 less then new after shipping. For a very used machine.
  2. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

Are they actually selling, or is that just what its listed for? Its the same deal with newer trucks on there, of the 10 or so i watched (95-2000 4x4s) only 1 sold. Why? most of them were over blue book. If those back packs are selling, well then, that's why there listed so high.
  3. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

More than likely the time of year. Ever notice that 4x4 trucks sell better just before winter, or lawnmowers sell better in the summer. B/P blowers were the hottest thing since sliced bread up until we all got dumped on with white gold. If you dont need one before spring, maybe wait into the winter a little longer and check again.
    I watched ATV's for about 6 months before I listed my father-in-laws machine, they werent bringing dirt, then when the prices started climbing I listed it, ended up getting $300 more than what he had it listed for locally.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, supply and demand.
    They don't sell for squat in spring but right now they're top dollar, everyone has leaves on the ground.
    Thou I dare say it will be over soon, 1-2 weeks and it's over, after Xmas it ain't happening.

btw don't feel bad...
    I want racing seats and a carbon fiber hood for my truck (to shave off several hundred pounds).
    Go price that sometime :laugh:

Also E-bay is very popular, that's part of it too, you want a good deal you will have to look long and hard.
    Then the stores, a lot of those results get mixed in too, some are good deals but in most cases they can afford to list it until it sells.

Now you can find cheaper starting after New Year's, but you'll have to look, don't expect much for under 2 thou.
    Don't be surprised if you have to check back once a week for like a month, shouldn't take that but it might.
    Then you should be able to find decent condition ones, 2-300 and most are pretty nice, just less of a selection.
  5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

For that little difference, I would buy new! Many times the used stuff is junk that a company is selling because they bought new. I need machines on the jobsite, not junk in the shop being fixed.