Anyone Like ther PG spreader???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lndscpe, Dec 6, 2004.

1. lndscpe

lndscpe LawnSite Member

Just curious to see if anyone likes or would recommend the purchase of a Magnum Perma Green Spreader. I live about 5 miles from where they are manufactured and was seriously considering the purchase of one, but after the comments on this site I have reservations and have since called LT Rich for information on the Z spreader. Any reasons to even consider the Magnum? Thanks for any info, just would like to get the best use of the green $$$ payup

2. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

I think it depends if which is best suited to your needs. The z-spray is too big for me to get economical use out of it. I have a perma green I bought this fall and I like it for the most part. It fits the majority of lawns I do. I don't like some of the design but it hasn't hindered my applicating one bit.
    Evaluate what size lawns you will be doing and base your decision on your needs, budget,etc. not what everybody else is using.

3. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

I love my PG's. They do have there problems like any other machine, but would definately reccommend one. The new machine looks like they made some very nice improvements. I could not do without them, they are time savers.

rob

4. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

I have a love/hate relationship with my 2 perma greens. They did save my business due to back problems I was suffering several years ago. For that Im thankful.

That being said, IN my past 20years running a lawn business and buying and using equipment I have never seen a product so poorly designed, manufactured and supported by a company. The only reason they have stayed in business as long as they have is because they where the only ones making that type of machine at that price point. Time and other companies (like LT Rich) will either put them out or force them to improve the quality of there machine. Many times when I complained to PG or others here, I always got the same response, " its better than walking or pushing a spreader " well driving to work is a hell of a lot better than walking to work, but that doesn't mean a car malefactor can make a flawed vehicle and sell it then use that excuse.

The magnum may have solved some problems that many people have complained about past models, but Im just not willing to take the chance, Ive spent 10k on 2 machines in the past 5 years and I could not see myself spending another cent with them without a demo for several days, and a really good look at the machine.

I think we are only a few years away from having a lot more choices in this market, LT Rich is working on new models and Im sure some other companies will get into the mix soon.

5. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I've been considering one this last year as well. Stopped and talked with a guy this last week that was using one on a yard next to where I was mowing. He told me that they're great on anything from 1/2 acre and larger, but they wouldn't be worth it if you only have small properties. He also suggested hooking up the JRCO electric broadcast spreader on the Scag TT www.jrcoinc.com/spreader since I'm already mounting a 25gal. spray tank with a spray boom. After all, it only makes sense to take full advantage of the equipment you already have and utilize it to it's full ability.

On the other hand, I realize that a lot of chem. app. companies do not mow and therefore don't have a zero turn mower at their disposal. Just an idea for those who do.

6. lndscpe

lndscpe LawnSite Member

Thanks for the insite and thoughts, I really appreciate the time you spend on the replies, there is nothing like inside, real working help! Thanks.

7. Forever Green Lawn

Forever Green Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen and tested the Magnum and it is a much improved machine. As for customer support, I have heard the stories but I have always had good luck dealing with John. Their products are getting better with time as most products do. I have 4 Centris and 1 Ultra and all have their flaws, but over all I feel it's a good product and I would recommend looking at the Magnum. See what fits your needs.

8. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

9. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

But, will the Magnum get the 11' spray pattern as they claim? Did you test the sprayer?
    Thats my biggest peeve with PG. We have used Centi and Ultra and have never gotten a decent spray pattern (best we have done is 6' and that just leaves to much of an untreated spray gap between spreader pattern.

Does the new 2 gal per minute pump address that issue? And, even with a larger pump will one jet nozzle that is mounted 6-8 inches off the ground get 11'?

10. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Anything is an improvement, I have used a centri the past three seasons and its been nothing but a pain in the butt, I've ordered a new z-sprayer for next spring and look forward to putting it to work.