Anyone looked at the prices at Home Depot?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Rcgm, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Rcgm

Rcgm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Hav eany of you looked at the prices of plant material at Home Depot?My lord the are incrediable this year. I went there today and just walked into the garden section for giggles and was amazed how cheap there stuff is. Usually it is alot of one gallon plants. Not no more. I stopped in there fo rsome marking paint then was heading to the local wholesale nursery for 3 Large Dwarf Alberta Spruces. Well was suprised Home Depot had them. I got 3 seven foot tall Dwarf Alberta Spruces for 89.99 each. They were 174.00 at the wholesale nursery. They had 4 gallon Rhodys for 17.99 each. I also picked up a 7 foot tall blue juniper spiral bush for 89.99 they had Cleveland Pear trees 3 inch for 69.99 I went for marking paint and left with a trailer full. I also had a 20 percent off coupon. I don't see how in a few more years nurserys are going to compete. Best of all you get a 1 year warranty on the plant materials.I try to support my local wholesale nurserys but when I can save money like that I have to look out for my family. So I peeled off the stickers and headed to my customers house for the day. He was so happy with the Spruces he said WOW you can't find bushes like that at lowes or home depot.:cool2:

RCGM
    Brad

2. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

I got several fine-leafed boxwoods from HD last year - $35 a piece in a three-gallon container. The nursery had them for $74 - the exact same size and species - with no warranty! Yeah, I was pretty pumped that day. . . I always look first now at HD when I am selecting plants - they may not have the variety of a nursery, but the prices are incredible.

3. MOWEMJEFF

MOWEMJEFF LawnSite Senior Member

Thats because its so hard for nurseries to survive these days...all these major growers have patents on every plant it seems like and the customers want these patented plants. Its becoming harder for nurseries to make money because they can't propogate them themselves legally and places like home depot place HUGE orders and get much better pricing. It's actually not a good thing and is only going to get worse.

4. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

No thanks! I have a Nursery that I use for a reason. The guy was born and raised in this area and knows just about everything there is to know about the plants he is selling and generally cares about the contractor he is selling to.

No homeowners allowed to buy from him either. He only sells to pros and commercial properties like municipalities and all of the theme parks down here in FL.

HD can sell to the homeowner and lead them in the wrong direction with the crap weed fabric and whatever else they try to get them to buy. I'll stick to the local business.

:usflag:

5. Superior L & L

Superior L & L LawnSite Senior Member

Yer i cannot belive how cheap there stuff is getting. Lowes had some realy nice stuff last year also. 6' arbs for $29.00

6. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly. Thank you for saving me from typing. I'll probably rant for a second...

I will NEVER buy a plant from Home Depot. Don't care how cheap they are, don't care where the trends are going. I go to professional, dedicated nurseries for a reason- knowledge, proper advice, design help (if requested), compliment plants, and PRICE... c'mon, it's not that much different for the most part. You guys must have come crappy wholesale nurseries in your areas to load your trailer up at the Depot.

I fully support my wholesale nurseries. They work hard for my business and will stand and help me for an hour if I ask.

*edit- Also, do you know where that material is coming from?? Is it adapted to your area (e.g. northern, southern grown?? west coast material? How about B&B nursery stock?? I bet "Pam," the part-time retiree in her little orange vest doesn't know.

7. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I guess the question of quality over price would ring in my mind. I noticed the same thing when I visited a Home Depot last weekend.

8. kubotafan

kubotafan LawnSite Member

Hey, I am your customer, and see now what you did to me!!!

9. EVM

EVM LawnSite Senior Member

Home Depot is running some crap radio ad about how Scotts fetilizer has this miracle chemical that will keep the lawn alive through a drought. Oh, I can't wait for the first jackass to call me about this one.

10. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea HD is changing. A couple of weeks ago I stopped by just to kill time and saw they had 6' tall Lelyand Cypress trees on sale for $12, the same size at my local nursery is $20 my cost. We bought right at 50 of them to run along the fron of our property. I stopped by there again yesterday to see they are now selling Palm Trees. I have never installed them here but the prices were pretty fair compared to what the nursery has them listed for. I still buy from my nursery every chance I can though cause they send work my way and they're just good people.