Anyone looking for some Yellow Jackets?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KTO Enterprises, Aug 10, 2007.

1. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Cause if you lost some, i found a bunch today. so far I have counted 17 stings. The worst one sofar is on my thumb. has my whole had swelled up. Its that time of year.

2. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Ouch!!!!!!

3. Mimowerman

Mimowerman LawnSite Senior Member

ooh bet that hurt!!! When does it become a problem or how many stings will it take for someone to have a reaction to bees ? I know that for some who are allergic only one could kill them , but 17 stings, wouldn't this do something to anybody who may not even be allergic??? Feel better man!!!

4. KTO Enterprises

I dont know at what point they will kill someone who is not allergic but it does hurt like crap. Its earlier in the year than it was lastyear when i started getting hit by them. It was late september before I started discovering them. I have a bad feeling its going to be a rough year.

5. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

this has been the worst year i can remember, they are eveywhere. we've been stung alot but we've been soommme lucky!

6. Duncan90si

Duncan90si LawnSite Member

2 or 3 years ago I hit a yellow jacket's nest in the ground when I was digging. They flew up my shorts and all around me. I had 21 or 23 stings by the time I had ran. Luckily, they didn't get to my goods cause I had them cupped in my hands while running away. :) I feel your pain.

A friend of mine had them fly up his shorts and they had stung his you know what. He told me the story about it and I was trying to hold back from laughing too hard. He said that when he got home he found 3 dead bees in his underwear. I then asked him "what happened, did they die from laughing?" He wasn't amused.

7. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

The problem can be that a person has never been allergic to stings but your body can get to the point of saturation and become overwhelmed, then your system does not have the ability to fight the toxin any longer.

There can come a time where you could get stung once and say, well I am not allergic to stings and the next thing you know here comes a reaction that causes you airway to start closing.

I use to survey and there was not a lot of days that went by I did not get stung in hot weather. I was never allergic to Poison Oak or Poison Ivey and I would be in it constantly, then all of a sudden I woke up one morning and had it all over me. I had to take a shot and Prednisone, after I got it cleared up that one time my immune system took care of me and I never had it again.

I saw a boy get stung on the head of his ****** and it swelled up so bad he was scared it would burst. He said when he went home his wife took him to the doctor and told him she would like for the pain to be taken out and the swelling left in if possible. I know he got stung and I know it really swelled up because I saw it but as far as what he said about his wife I don't know.

8. KTO Enterprises

Lol. I have been reading up on development of allergies to yellow jacket stings.

I plan to get an epi-pen and carry it with me just in case something goes wrong one of these days. This is by far the worst attack I have partaken in. The nest was so large that the front wheel of the tractor literaly fell in the hole created by the nest caving in. As soon as the tire came up out of the hole they began swarming me something fierce.

This leads me to my next reason for being thankful for my new tractor. The more I step on the pedal the faster it moves. The old tractor would ust trudge along at whatever speed it was in gear for. This one also has safety interlock switches in the seat so if the pto is on and I get off the tractor will shut down, therefore within a few minuted the offenders will leave the machine alone since it is not running and making noise. I guess with the high profits comes some sort of problem. This is probably why there is such a high turnaround in people doing bush hogging. Most probably say after one attack "F#!@ this" and quit.

I am definitely going to get one of the ventilated masks I posted in a thread lastnight asking if anyone had ever used one. I start to swat at them when they get around my face and this in turn is what pisses them off

9. puppypaws

You are lucky if you haven't gotten into a nest of the big black and yellow bumble bees, they will chase you as long as they can see you and fly right along with the speed of your tractor. The stingers they leave look like a pencil lead and hurt like the devil but it does not last as long as the yellow jackets sting.

There has been more people killed by stings than any other bites including snakes.

10. puppypaws

This came from a medical search stating what I said about you never know which sting you can become allergic to.

QUOTE:

My brother has anaphylaxis to bee stings. Are there any tests that can predict if I will develop a similar problem?

No. Neither skin tests nor blood tests can predict whether you will develop an allergic reaction to the venom of the sting of a member of the family Hymenoptera.

How will I know if I'm having an anaphylactic reaction to a sting?

Within a few seconds or after a few minutes you will probably notice your skin itching and difficulty breathing due to a constriction in your throat. You may feel dizzy, apprehensive, and nauseaus. Symptoms can progress very rapidly. It is common to become anxious.

Can I have an anaphylactic reaction the first time I'm stung?

No. You must be stung at least once in the past in order for your immune system to produce the special type of antibody that triggers anaphylaxis on subsequent stings.