1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone lose thier lawn yet

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Capemay Eagle, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I pretty much have lost my lawn, mostly all hay now. I had to shut off a few sprinkler zones for some pool and deck construction we have been doing and have lost the lawn in those spots, as well as a few other spots. I was caught off guard in early June with a mini heatwave and no rain in weeks and the lawn was scorched in three days, but driving around the neighborhood everyone else's lawn is fried too. I pretty much have thrown in the towel till the fall, it is just getting worse everyday no matter how much I water, it has been dry and hot, the leaves on the trees are even curling up and falling off the Oaks. So how is your lawn fairing in your part of the country..
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

That is the great part about bermuda....it has been 90 plus for probably 6 weeks and little rain but with watering twice a week it is green as can be. And even if we stopped watering it would turn brown but come right back.
  3. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Same with Kentucky Bluegrass. It goes dorment just like in the winter. It's best to just leave it that way until you start getting rain. Most will comeback just fine. Keep fertilizing like normal so the lawn gets feed as soon as it does get watered. Use a good "slow release" type fert so it doesn't burn the lawn.

Trees are a different story. Water them as needed. If they look dry it's already too late.
  4. The Rookie

The Rookie LawnSite Senior Member

stress is starting to set in in the heartland. Mowing will slow down if we dont get rain soon. I mow my yard 4.5 to 5'' every 10-14 days and it seems to help. I am not irrigating this year to see if I can make the grass stronger. I wish I could plant a heat tolerant cool season grass. That doesnt even sound right.
  5. mngrassguy

Yes, you are correct. Mowing as tall as you can will keep the lawn from drying out so fast. It also helps keep the weeds down and will hold its color better. NEVER remove more than a third of the blade!!!

Also, never water in the evening. Stop watering early enough so the grass can dry before it gets dark. If the grass stays wet all night long, fungus will thrive.

Turf Type Tall Fescues are very heat/drought tolerant but should never be mixed with Kentucky Blue in the lawn. It grows much quicker and taller than KB and would look bad.
  6. The Rookie

The Rookie LawnSite Senior Member

I like mixing grass seeds in my yard. The way I mow you cannot tell there are 9 different varieties of tttf and 3 different kb. I am posting some pictures tommorow. The kb is hay but the tttf is hanging in there, kb stripes prettier in the spring, and tttf seems to hold the whole thing together. But I have seen gorgeous stand of pure falcon fescue, or pure kb that are fabulous. I just like trying new stuff out in my yard and I am going to overseed with some pereenial rye in the fall to see if I can get more variety.
  7. mngrassguy

I always end up with "Rust" problems with Perennial Rye Grass for a couple of years after planting so I avoid it when possible. Glad to hear tttf's work well in your area. Maybe it's a regional thing.