anyone make their own mulch kit?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Jan 11, 2006.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i've been looking for a mulch kit or plans to build one for about 6 months. i just can't pay over 300 dollars for one at my dealer. if anyone knows where to find a cheap one or has plans to build one please respond. i'd also love to see some pics if you have any. thanks.

2. lawnwizards

surely someone knows something about what i'm talking about. 30,000 members and not one response.. come on guys. i need some help.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yes I have... what's yours for?

4. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

i built one for my 36" lesco walk behind, works pretty good, but depends what you are putting it on i guess

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Is is a removable mulch kit or did you weld it in place?

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Are you talking about the BAGGER ??!!!

I mean, my machine is called a recycler so it's already a mulching machine...
    Bag or not, it is a Grand Toro Recycler, and recycling is what it does.
    Are other brands not recyclers...? I thought all mowers were, hmmm....

What else is there to build...?
    If it's a bag and you want to save the 300, do like I do and don't bag.
    Matter of fact, if you have NO bag you will NEVER get stuck bagging, mainly because you CAN'T !!!
    It's one of the reasons I REMOVED the bagging hardware from mine, so I CAN'T !!!
    Yeah I know, you tell them you don't bag and they don't listen and next thing you know...
    But, I CAN'T !!!
    A few even look at me funny at that point and on and on they go, oh but come Onnnn!!!
    Yes, for 5 extra bucks I'll bust my tail for DOUBLE the time it normally takes, some evidently relish the thought.
    But you see, my machine does not bag because it can not bag, it is physically impossible.
    It's beautiful.

7. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

Id loose half of my customers if i didnt bag, so that isnt an option here. I only mulch in the late summer and fall when the leaves really start coming down. The "mulch" kit i built for my mower is something i bolt on, takes 3-5 minutes to put on. Its really just a piece of metal i block the opening of the shoot with, but it's curved so the grass circulates around. the first one i put on simply blocked the opening, didnt really work because the grass clumped on the plate then fell off in large clumps. Like i said i only mulch when the grass slows down and isnt as lush. I usually run double blades with one set being gator blades as well. Hope that helps you out.

8. lawnwizards

its a 48" bobcat classic with a 15hp kohler. does this help any? thanks.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, and if I am thinking correctly, this is going to be a simple-simple-simple one to fit a custom mulching kit to. No front baffling at all to deal with, which is better.

I could use some top and bottom deck pics to get started helping so that I am 100% sure what you are working with.

10. lawnwizards

i'll take some pics right now and post them in a bit. thanks so far.