1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

anyone miss a cut?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Oct 7, 2006.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

have you ever missed a cut due on a certain day an not realized it until its too late? what did you do? did you call the customer and tell them you forgot or just didn't say anything and cut it first thing in the morning eventhough its not on your route? lets her it guys and girls. have you ever missed a cut?

2. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:hammerhead: ummm. computer program = route list = no missed cuts

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

good one never missed a cut in the 11 seasons going full service sometimes a rain delay computer tells me what to be done.
  4. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

never missed because I forgot, more like not enough time in the day to do it so it waits a day or 2. Personally, If a customer has a problem with me showing up the day before or two days after their regular scheduled day, I really don't want their account. They have to be flexible cuz there's going to be times when they want me to be flexible. "the fert guy just came, or I was just overseed yesterday, or we have a party sat so can you mow on Friday." they all will make request like that.
  5. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

ummm, nerdstrom you could have misplaced your spreadsheet thus leaving your pocket protector empty. my question isn't who has not missed a cut, duh!! read the title again. its who has missed a cut.
  6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, i'm guilty. I used to not have any sort of "route" many moons ago. I knew what needed cut on a certian day, but I'd always just cut them in whatever order, sometimes passing by a hard one for later in the day, oops!

What's better is cutting the same one 2 times in the same week, and wondering the whole time you are there the 2nd time why the heck it didn't grow much this week!!!! LMAO! (moved a tuesday lawn to friday, and FORGOT, came back on tuesday and cut it again, then friday rolls around and I finally figure it out) Yes they were as confused as I was on that one.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I have, lol, more than once but I dare say not more than a few times.
    Maybe once or twice a season someone just slips through the cracks, it happens.
    And yes, I use statistical analysis pads, which are like spreadsheets, but sometimes I just don't SEE one...
    I've even accidentally dropped a customer going from one week to the next, again, it happens sometimes.

My rules are simple:
    If it is the customer's fault that the grass is extra tall (meaning they delayed me or played me around), it costs extra.
    Now if it is my fault, I take the heat for it.
    And if it is due to weather, I take the heat for it.

I couldn't agree more, I make exceptions in cases of overseeding and stuff like that as well, it doesn't cost extra.
    But then again, I'm allowed to cut it when I see fit, most of the time.
  8. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Never missed a cut. Have gotten up and thought is was Thursday and cut that route on Wednsday. Heck done that more than once
  9. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Absolutely!! If they don't understand...they arent worth it. However...Ive never just forgotten. Rain...chemical plant explosions in Apex NC...things like this keep me away lol But...never just forgotten.
  10. parkeeee

parkeeee LawnSite Member

A few of the lawns I do are in the neighborhood that I live in. One is right next door.

Twice I have cut the neighbors and mine and forgot to cut our front yard and did not realize it until the z was in the trailer and strapped down. To teach myself a lesson the second time, I cut the front yard with the 21". Have not forgot since.