Anyone Mow/Aerate in New York?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Sup3rman, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Sup3rman

Sup3rman LawnSite Member

Well, I have been lucky enough to stumble upon these forums while educating myself on the Lawn Care business. I have to say this site has given me the most information by far. Since last year I have been contemplating trying to start mowing lawns but never put anything into action due to my inexperience in the field (besides mowing my own lawn for years).

My frist question is about fertilizer/herbicide licenses. I have searched the NYS Agriculture site and have come up with nothing. Does anyone know the specifications that need to be met in Orange County, NY?

Second, I have Aerated and Overseeded my lawn in the fall the past couple of years with a commerical machine I have rented. I was just wondering if you guys would think it is possible to find some customers for this service by late september/early october or do you think most people already have Lawn Care providers by now if they wanted services?

By the way, I understand the need for insurance and registering my business name with the town and am currently looking into it.

2. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

where in ny are you?

3. Sup3rman

Sup3rman LawnSite Member

Orange County....Town of New Windsor

4. Brendan Smith

NO WAY...my grandmother lives on union ave, smallish white 40's house with two open ajoining lots...i was born in vail's gate...mom lives in newburgh. dan coleman's son has a landscape company, i think dan still does tree work. they are really nice and i'm sure would be good to network with.

5. Sup3rman

Sup3rman LawnSite Member

That is unbelievable. Small world I guess. You still live in the area? Do you have the name of his business? I know of a number of good, reputable Lawn Care businesses around here but have only really come into contact with two of them.

And referring to my question earlier, do you think it is reasonable for me to attempt to get some aeration and overseeding jobs this fall or should I save the money on fliers and such for next spring?

I still can't believe I came across someone from so close on this site. It seems for what I have read that most people are from down south.

6. Brendan Smith

i live in s.c., have for the last 28 years. my family owned j&h smith mfg co and in 76, the brothers split the business and our part moved down here to get away from the taxes, etc. their portion was still there i believe on new britian rd until a few years ago when it was sold and became a vet clinic.

don't know what your budget is, but it never hurts to advertise. you need to wait for cooler weather before overseeding, but not sure if that would be sept or oct there. fliers are really cheap and generate an average response rate of 1% to 1.25% for me most years. i also advertise in small town weekly papers. rates are way cheaper than, say, the herald and their readership is pretty much in my target demographic. also, with a weekly, the people tend to read every word as opposed to skimming headlines which i hypothesize makes them more likely to actually read my ad. anyway, good luck and try hard. let me know if i can ever help.

btw - i'm not sure what dan's business name is, but he has been around for a LONG time.

7. Sup3rman

Sup3rman LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice. I was actually thinking of putting out an ad in the local Orange County Post for the same reasons you just posted. I figure the cooler weather will start in late September through October. Last year I aerated and overseeded the second week of October and it worked out very nicely. I still have some time to figure everything out I guess, but not much time if I really put this all into action.

Thanks again for the advice, I appreciate it.

8. Brendan Smith

if i can help you with anything, feel free to ask.