1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone mow for Walmart?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Albery's Lawn & Tractor, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

I was mowing a customers house today and her new husband comes out to itroduce himself. Long story short, he is a manager for walmart about 2 towns over, and is looking for someone to replace there current LCO. He told me the current guy gets about $1,400 a month but lately is just not doing anything. He's suppose to fax me a list about the details but has anyone ever worked for Walmart before? Are they like most and pay 30 days from invoice? It just seems like the bigger the company you work for the longer it takes to get paid.
  2. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

He's feeling you out for next year, Trying to get you to undercut the current guy. Just a feeling I get.He should have a long term relationship with a reputable provider .But hes after the uniformed lowballer that gets stars in his eyes.No I've never worked for walmart.Which means this is all just speculation.
  3. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

The guy has just been asigned to the store, and he even says the outside looks bad (same mulch since '06). Says the store is willing to pay more for professional work. He told me that they are letting the old LCO go this month and need an immediate replacement.
  4. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

what all are they wanting done outside? just a typical mow, edge, trim and blow? or do they want sweepers run nightly? entry ways and building powerwashed? etc...

wonder what your minimum liability insurance coverage would have to be for something that large?
  5. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

I used to have a maintenance account with a local Wal-Mart Supercenter. First thing your going to need is a vendors #. That usually takes about 90 days to make it through the approval system. Then when you send in your first invoice you'll find yourself waiting at least 60 days for your first payment, after that they will come regularly about every 30 days.

They are going to want copies of all I-9s on all of your employees and their going to require proof of liability insurance as well as workman comp insurance. Last I heard they were requiring a 2mil policy.

As far as the work goes you will be required to refresh all the mulch in the flowers beds once a year, fertilize the lawns twice a year, prun all the shrubs twice a year, startup/shutdown & maintain the sprinkling system & keep the lawn and flower beds free of weeds. Not to forget the regular weekly lawn maintenance

If the Wal-Mart in your area is anything like the ones here you will also find yourself picking up several bags of garbage from the lawns and flower beds each week.

Other then the above mentioned items they're not a bad company to work with and as long as you do a good job you'll never hear a word from them.

Also keep in mind that fert, mulch, sprinklers maint, weed control, weekly maint & labor are all included in the $1400 a month price.
  6. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

Funny this caught my eye. I was thinking about walmart today. My sister-in-laws brother is a manager of a supercenter and I wanted to contact him. Good luck that should be a relatively easy job.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Hmm,...gee,...we never heard THIS before...New manager comes in...new manager wants to cut costs...new manager wants to save numbers on his sheets....new manager wants to look like a hero to upper mgmt. New manager goes to the typical "first things to get cut". New manager finds a lower priced service. New manager rides it out until he gets an even lower price (dozens of bids). New manager hires cheaper service. New manager transfers and the cycle starts all over again. Welcome to the world of commercial. These type places and apartments will sell you down the river to save 20 bucks a month.
  8. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

I went to only residential because of this.
    Can't believe I uses to put "residential and commercial" in my ads, just did it cause everyone else in the area did.

Funny thing is that most ppl when I first meet them and tell them what I do they ask if I do commercial properties, as if that is a step above, then I have to go into my 3 min rant why residential is more ideal and profitable in the area.
  9. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

This is very true. I just told him to fax me the details so I can come up with my own bid. If I get it fine, if not fine. I'm not gonna stay up all night trying to cut my numbers to get it.
  10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Odd.... I've been doing my local Wal-Mart for 12 years now, with 7 different managers coming through.

Right now my agreement is $75 / man hour plus the cost of supplies, haven't filled out a Wal-Mart contract for 3 years, just time and materials.

I WAS doing another Wal-Mart for 6 years, but they started going through store managers and dragging the bid process out until mid-May each year and I said I was tired of playing their game. I pulled my name out of the hat.

That Wal-Mart, I actually got because the manager had dialed a wrong number, looking for a different company for a bid on a project. I jumped on it and went from there. :laugh:

Yes, there IS a 12-15 page Wal-Mart contract that you're SUPPOSED to sign, but I've never had issues. Also, with the Vender ID, I would bring that up to new manager guy, that you either need to be paid at store level until that's all cleared, or that there will be a premium charged to the account for waiting for your money.

I've been paid many times at store level for different issues. It isn't often, but it can be done.

Also, once you have your Vendor ID, it all depends on when the store sends in your invoice. I've been paid anywhere from 5-35 days, and that's with sending the invoice to the store, then it goes to Bentonville AR.