Anyone mow Interstate Hwy interchanges?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by David Haggerty, Jun 7, 2006.

1. I've seen these interchanges in Ohio that are obviously Not maintained by the state. They have avery nice patterned "lawn" cut. Really nicely manicured.
    I'd like to do a couple of these. But do I need special permits? From whom?
    There are 2 interchanges in this county that are getting pretty well built up with businesses and really need better care. I want to approach some of these businesses but I know nothing about how this should work.
    Anybody done this or know someone who does?

Dave

2. Sky King

Sky King LawnSite Member

That is most likely State or county land, here in Florida they will put it up for Bid, Check with your local Court house.

3. Buckeye Lawncare

Buckeye Lawncare LawnSite Member

I would like to do the interchanges also around my area, I think they would be a big money maker. There would be almost no trimming or blowing, just mow and go. It would however be very dangerous to work around cars that are flying by at 70 mph. :dizzy:

If you find anything out could you let me know!

4. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

Check ypur DOT website. NY lists all bids as well as past bids.

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Thats done by the state here

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

You just have to find out the 'ownership' of the land....

Fed/State/County/City/Whatever.... it's government land.
    But find out 'which' government and go from there.

Some of these are 'State' but are paid-for with local subsidy...
    Economic delelopment/attraction funds...

So they 'take-over' responsiblity from the state for a certain period of time and hire these interchage commons professionally done... mowing and landscaping. They do this for local economic development... because think about it... if you are traveling along on a trip and you need to make a stop in some "unknown territory" for gas/food/lodging/site seeing.... well which exit do you think you'll make the split second decision at interstate speed that this is an OK place to ramp off?

7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't know about everyone else but I always look for the exit ramps with the blue signs for gas/food/lodging/site seeing. Maybe I should try looking for the ones with the nicest cut grass.:hammerhead:

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, but how many have that same-ol sign? Adn how many times have you ramped off on one and been 'on-guard' while fueling up or whatever? I know I have.

Rather people think the idea is comical or not... truth is, it works effectively. People traveling along who start thinking of the idea of a nice meal and then nice lodging for the night are not looking to ramp off in the slums. They'll ramp off at the nicely manicured and landscaped exit, as what they see out there is an inviting suggestion of what they can't see from where they are.

Trust me, it works... because you can bet both cheeks if a politician is spending one tax dollar on such a thing, it is generating 2-3x more than that in additional local tax revenues.

9. Thanks fellas. It clears it up for me. It sounds like if the "local economic development" allocation isn't in place there's probably not much I could do to initiate it's happening.

Thanks for the replies.

Dave

10. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

MIKE FRONCZACK: send me the copy of the link to the nys bid page for lawn care, past and present cant seem to find it.. thanks in advance!!