1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone mowing today in the heat?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeKle, Jun 19, 2010.

1. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

It is supposed to be really hot today, ad most of next week too, today they are saying it will feel like 105 to 110 with mid to upper 90s temps and mid 90s humidity! It just rained here pretty hard, so I am waiting for a bit to go out, but Im going to do it, as long as it doesnt rain, which is highly likely due to that high of humidity, but if it does, it wont rain til I get to my first yard and get the mower unloaded, then it will start!

MS_SURVEYOR LawnSite Bronze Member

I will be latter today. First I have this 1 acre spot that has a bunch of young brush trees coming up I need to pull with a tree puller.

The trees are no where near as big as the one in the picture. I could mow them down, but the problem won't go away. You bet it's going to be HOT! Then I'll be trying to mow as much grass as I can the rest of the day. But what are you going to do? It is summer!! :cry:
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm just messing around at the house. I sharpened the blades on the Dixie, washed up and sharpened the blades on the Ferris and sprayed some Glyphosate in the back ditches. Now it's about lunchtime and then time for a nap.
  4. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I've just got to mow my neighbor's lawn down the street, didn't have time to do theirs on Thursday. Luckily its supposed to be a little cooler today, only 86....yesterday it was 90.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes but more than likely several of them are not going to need it so I can put them
    off to next week, we're short on rain and in this heat it's just not growing, still
    have to make the rounds to go see thou.

Which, it's fine by me, I don't mind a little running around in the a/c of the truck lol
    I'm sure some will need it too.
  6. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

Pretty much describes every day down in Florida.
  7. BINKY1902

BINKY1902 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from South

It was 99 degrees here yesterday, heat index 110. I was out for 10 hrs yesterday, drank almost 3 gallons of water. Not to mention 4 32 oz Gatorades.
  8. R & R Yard Designs

R & R Yard Designs LawnSite Senior Member

Diging out a patio today and going to finsh it tomm
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. AzLawnMan

AzLawnMan LawnSite Senior Member

90 is hot? It has been 108 all week here in Arizona. My crews go through 5 gallons of water, a DAY!! I actually got sunburn thursday for the first time in years. But dry heat is better than high humidity.
  10. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Yes 90 is hot...especially with high humidity :)

Dry heat is definately different, though I may take the 90 degrees over the 108.

If it could just be 72 all year long, I would be happy!