Anyone mowing with turboforce.. blade bolt problems?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigjeeping, Sep 6, 2007.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

On one of my new turboforce decks (52"), I had to replace the part which which cradles the blade. It cost about $45 if I can remember right. It's a long cylinder which does right down the middle of the spindle. Anyway, it's not too hard to replace. It can't be if I did it myself. But the problem is WHY I had to replace it. The blade bolt got stuck and I couldn't get it out. It was probably cross-threaded? But how did it get cross threaded when I screw the bolts in BY HAND until they contact the blade, then I torque them down with an electric impact. None-the-less, I could not break this bolt free with a breakerbar and a 6 foot extension. It's been a couple months since that happened, and now my OTHER 2 BLADE BOLTS ARE STUCK. The impact won't take them out. Man am I pissed. Any ideas? Remember, I screw these in by hang until they contact the blade.. so I can't imagine them cross threading..
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Unless they're not tapping the threads deep enough into the spindle shaft?

These are original bolts, and your using original 1/4" thick blades, right?

Get a GOOD and powerful 1/2" air powered impact gun and compressor. They WILL come off. Your impacting them on, and trying to breaker bar them off. Doesn't work that way.
  3. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same problem. It is stripped out or cross threaded. I repleced two spindles then it happened again and I took it back to the dealer. I figured out that for one thing there using fine threaded bolts versus the course threaded bolts and the bolts are not long enough. What I mean by the lenght is once the bolt goes thru the blade, washer and the bushing theres only 1/2 inch of bolt going into the spindle.

I took back to dealer and he installed much longer bolts and told me to stop using an impact wrench to install them. Now I use a torque wrench.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yeah, on my fixed deck Toros at least on the older one the middle bolt was longer than the side ones (due to the construction) but I relate to the problem for more than one reason... Wouldn't be the first time, if it only happens once, that I accidentally used a short bolt in the center and it barely threads or some such crap, either way I started using ALL long bolts exclusively, now I only have one part to stock and less confusion and never worry about which bolt goes where.

If it makes you feel any better, this is the reason I dislike auto mechanics using impact wrenches on my car, specifically the wheels.
    The force of it can warp a brake rotor.

Yes, ALWAYS thread it on by hand, at least 3 full turns or so.
    Make sure the threads are clean, if dirt gets into the threads it could be bad news, compressed air or a rag keeps that clean.
    Even then you will, sooner or later, strip one.

Tip: THIS is one part of which you always want 2-3 in stock!
    > So for when the dealer is out OR you got no money, not to mention convenience...

When cutting WATCH for obstacles!
    Hitting something solid that binds your blade has a tendency to super-torque that nut.

The other thing is, when it's stuck like that you might want to PB-blaster it or soak it in Liquid wrench and let it sit overnight, it helps.

If you have the option of turning down the torque a notch on your impact, try that as well.
    Also just 'pop' it on there, don't hold the gun trigger any longer than you have to, two or three of those impact-wrench specific 'clack' noises after it seats is actually enough, most of the time, just a quick pa-pap and it's done.
  5. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

100% wrong.

For one proper way is to torque them on.

For two. I have one of the strongest 1/2" drive impact made and sometimes I still have to take blade bolts off with a breaker bar because the impact wont take them off.

Impact guns were not designed to install parts. Only to remove them.

From the sounds if it this is a bolt that is less than a 1/2" diameter with a 20 thread pitch. Max torque on grade 5 1/2-20 bolt is 70 ft pounds. Less than the average car wheel.

An average impact is torquing over 110 ft pounds on 3 strikes of the hammer.

Dont use impacts.

Oh yeah I forgot. get a thing of anti-seize for all bolts.

Water can get into anything and this will seize a bolt up quicklike.

Especially use anti-seize on fasteners going into unlike metals. I.E. A steel bolt into an aluminum item.
  6. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Topsites, this is the most sense you have ever made.

Nothing puts knots in my drawers more than seeing tire center flunkies putting wheels on with impact guns. even the "torque sticks" dont properly torque the wheels.

You seem to have your head on straight for maintenance and repairs. This is not a common trait in folks. I believe it is vital for survival of solo lawn companies to be able to do most repairs themselves.
  7. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I have had this problem with my TurboForce decks also. I have been putting antiseize on the bolts and no problems since. I do have one mower that keeps dropping the blade and bolt out while in use. I ordered the new shaft today to fix it.
  8. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

My turborforce does not have anything that cradles the blade?
  9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

You must have a fixed deck walkbehind then right?

We are talking ZTR's with a blade bolt (~3") that threads into a blind hole in the spindle. The bottom of these TORO spindle shafts have a blade cradle in attempt to prevent blade slippage which leads to over tightening of the blade bolt.
  10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

KTO,.....Please 100% RE-read my post. You addressed nothing of what I stated.

And for what its worth, give me a good impact over a breaker-bar any day.

I've never had a blade bolt tighten to where I couldn't remove it with an impact. Thats with MANY different machines.

Not to start a pissing contest, but I've been doing this longer than you've been alive!

Don't ever tell people they're 100% wrong. If they are, they'll figure it out eventually.