1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone mulching w/ TTHP?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hamsey, Jul 22, 2005.

1. hamsey

hamsey LawnSite Member
    from CT

If so, how is the quality of the cut. I will be picking one up later today and am undecided if I should have the lit installed. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. hamsey

hamsey LawnSite Member
    from CT

Forgot to mention I will be getting a 48" deck w/ 17HP Kaw.
  3. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

Our 15 hp, 36" does wonderfully! We have the factory mulch kit.
  4. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

The guy I bought my 52" from had mulch kit on but I did not want it, so I left with him since. I cut totally St. Augustine grass and only use high lift blades (excalibur) with nothing else, so far very pleased with the smooth cut and beauty of it. BTW, I clean out my under deck every day I use..just plain towel and water wipe out, it works great. You will love the TTHP, excellent machine, but the 52" will be better IMHO....:))
  5. littlenic

littlenic LawnSite Member

Look at the 19hp, better air filter
  6. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

i'm not discouraging you but... i went to the dealer last year and talked to them about the mulching kit for my tthp 48. the dealer was not impressed with the kit. he told me mulching will cause clumps and i should just discharged. he recommended using gator blades in the fall or just bag if you have to. i will never bag. but, i do sometimes on my lawn to clean up in the fall. in the summer i just discharge.
  7. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I've come to the conclusion that mulching is a subject that should be discussed in context. Some grasses mulch more cleanly than others.

I don't have the mulch kit on my TTHP 52/19, but I do use a blade blocker. For the most part, I have no problem this time of year (mostly fescue for anyone who's paying attention) with mulching. Springtime is a different story, though. In the spring, I use low-lift blades and won't even think about mulching blades. During spring, the blocker is set to allow some discharge at all times and is wide open when circumstances permit.
  8. johnnyusa

johnnyusa LawnSite Senior Member

My 52/19hp tthp is still leaving stringers, not happy w/ cut. ive tried everything . any suggestions?
  9. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Two quick questions: Is this a problem on many of your lawns or just a few; and what types of grass do you encounter this problem with?

I have only one customer whose lawn I have this problem with. This guy fertlizes the you-know-what out of it. Fescue, and all that lovely soluble nitrogen gave him a bad case of brown spot. I have had to double-mow to get a clean cut, but stopped doing that after a point because it just became absurd. He never complained but if he had, I would have told him to ease off the fert throttle if he wants a clean cut.
  10. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Tracer hp's Mulch Better than You Can Discharge w/ 2 eXcalibur Wavy Mulchers Per Spindle....

17hp/36" (Yes it eXists) or 19hp/48" Minimum in Order to Maintain rpm Under Heavy Load....The 19hp/48" is Borderline Acceptable..

The 15hp/36" are Borderline Acceptable...the 17hp/48" & 17hp/52" & 19hp/52" Tracer hp's are Too Weak to Mulch Lush Turf...