Anyone not pull a trailer?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by jwerner, Dec 10, 2005.

1. jwerner

jwerner LawnSite Member

I am in the process of downsizing. I currently run with a '02 F250 Super Duty crew cab truck, Grasshopper 928D, Exmark Turftracer, and a 14,000 gvw tandem trailer. I am thinking about trying to eliminate the trailer and grasshopper and run just my Turftracer in the back of my truck and just be a one man operation.

Does anyone do this? Any suggestions truck bed/gate?

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Mr Budget

Mr Budget LawnSite Member

Why not just down size the trailer ? you will have a hard time loading and unloading your mower from your truck!

3. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

The only way I would consider getting rid of my trailer is if I got one of those big flatbed Isuzu type trucks with a dovetail ramp. There is no way I would give up my rider for a walk behind only. I really don't understand your thinking, the jobs would take longer and what do you gain, a little maneuverability?

4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Maybe he is going to target smaller properties instead of larger ones.

If I was going to load a big walkbehind in my truck everyday. I would remove the tailgate and have a fabricator build a folder metal ramp to attach to the truck. Those walkbehinds would be too dangerous to load with regular ramps day in and day out.

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with DLCS, it would be very dangerous loading and unloading the TTHP out of the bed with regular ramps. Just my snowblower weighs 300 pounds and that has fallen off the ramps before, VERY dangerous, ide go with a smaller trailer or have a landscape bed built for your truck, just my .02

6. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I stopped pulling my trailer about halfway through the season, and seriously improved my efficiency. I service small to midsize properties in the city, where parking a trailer can be a problem. I have a set of plastic extension ramps called Highland Ramparts. They extend out to 8ft. I drilled a hole in the end of the ramp that lays on the tailgate and inserted a bolt of the right length so that it fits right into the grooves of my bedliner without sliding. I loaded my 44" wb and 21" in and out for the rest of the season with no problems, except that it is hard on your tailgate (even a heavy duty one like mine) and if you get caught in the rain the ramps can get a little slick. It worked, as I said, BUT, you have to be careful. Next year I plan to replace my tailgate with a heavy duty folding metal ramp, and it will be much safer.
    http://www.usaramp.com/
    http://www.metko.com/m100main.html
    http://www.ncrampsystems.com/Catalog.asp?Collection=1
    http://www.discountramps.com/

7. jwerner

jwerner LawnSite Member

I am planning to target smaller properties, I find them to be much more profitable than the larger ones. And, like Lawnbrother said, it would be much easier to manuever around not to mention cut down on my fuel costs.

Thanks for the links to ramp systems, I'll check them out and see what might work. I want it to look professional not cheesy. I like the way my set up looks now but would just like to downsize it some and be more efficient, i.e. less overhead.

Thanks,

Jeff

8. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Dude if the trialer is paid for why get rid of it, just pull your Turf tracer with that , whats the big deal?

9. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

I would ask myself the question: "Do I wanna beat up a $1800 trailer or a $30,000 vehicle?"

10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i have run with out a trailer for 16 yrs but i have the perfect truck for it. its a long bed toyota (which they stopped making long ago). it lower to the ground than a full size truck so the angle you load/unload isnt nearly as steep. its actually very easy to do and quite safe . loading into my full size chevy is possiable w/the same plastic ramps as mentioned above but i usually take the toyota using wood ramps w/end kit. there is even room left for 1 21 mower. i am going to get a trailer this spring when i get my z master toro. no way i would load that into a pickup and the tundra i bought is just too tall for even the walkbehind. i had a longbed ranger and it worked well too. it can be done .