1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone notice that a $3000 cub has a better engine

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Liquidfast, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

than a more expensive Ferris ZTR??? My cub resi has a 22 hp kawi and the Ferris has a 19 hp kawi. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.
  2. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

yes but for what i hear those are resi engines on the cub a commercial engine on the ferris. i dont know if im right but thats what ive heard.
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

To the best of my knowledge, Kawasaki only makes one line.
  4. mowtech

mowtech LawnSite Senior Member

Kawasaki in general does not make consumer engines. The exception is that they make a consumer version of the FJ180V 6.0 hp lawnmower engine, but I'm not aware that anyone is using it.

In their air-cooled V-twin vertical shaft FH series from 13 hp thru 19 hp they offer two versions: the standard version and the "KAI" version. The KAI version has some improvements over the standard series, but both are considered commercial grade. Another difference can be the air cleaner. The 19 hp can come with an optional canister style air cleaner as can the larger engines.

Note that Kawasaki does not make a 22 horsepower engine. They make a 21 hp and 23 hp.
  5. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

22 HP* Kawasaki® V-Twin OHV Engine
    * as rated by engine manufacturer

view larger image EASIER AND QUICKER
    Isn't it time you got around to getting a Zero-Turn Rider? Consider the time you can save. Zero-Turn Riders let you mow complex landscapes up to 50% faster! Mowing around trees and landscapes is a breeze. Dual-lever steering arms let you control each wheel with precise movements and less effort. You'll wish you had bought one long ago.

Printer Friendly
  6. mowtech

mowtech LawnSite Senior Member

Kawasaki does not make a 22 hp air cooled engine.

7. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

To clarify which engine is on the 50" residential ZTR we need a volunteer to look at the mower and get the engine number.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

If you go to CubCadet's website, you can clearly see a 22hp Kawi engine. The picture isn't clear enough to catch the model # though.

My guess....It's a 23hp running at 3450 rpm or something. Maybe a quieter more restrictive muffler?
  9. Rickco

Rickco LawnSite Member

I went to TSC today to check and this one (Pittsfield Ma.) has a Kaw. 23hp
  10. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

There you go a 23 HP Kawasaki in it --- probably with the
    RPM's turned down to give: a 22 HP as rated by the manufacturer.

Now my 54" tank has a 23 HP Kawasaki the FH 680V.
    Look at the chart from Kawasaki it shows the FH 680V developing 22 HP at 3200 RPM.