Anyone notice this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BerksLawn, Jul 2, 2001.

1. BerksLawn

BerksLawn LawnSite Member

I dont no about around you, but there are alot of new developments around. Well heres the thing we have 2 new accounts with new lawns and 2 other companys cut right next door to them well every yard in this development looks like sh*t after you cut it. Im told that the builders took off the top layer of topsoil then try to resell it to the owners well i dont think thats right. The one customer said we were cuttin there yard to low and it was a 3 inchs, how can that be to low? Is there anything they can do about it? They both told us they were probably goin to put topsoil down and reseed it. Its gettin worse around here more houses and more lcos all around i havent seen before, you cant even keep count nowadays i never even see the biggest company anymore with 15 walkers, a hell of alot of scags and was in walker talk.
  2. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

HAHAHA, i just mowed a lawn today, new development, no top soil what-so-ever. It was a spray on lawn job, done a month ago, never mowed since,, only thing was, there was no grass! It all washed away the day after being sprayed in a big rainstorm... go figure. I took it as a challenge to me, but man, wasnt thinking about he challenge to my mower of cutting the bushes that seemed to be growing out of their lawn, what a dump. The builders dont care, they made the fancy house, let a landscaper rebuild the lawn in a year, cause thats what its gonna take to get it right.
  3. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

All new lawns in the new developments around me are planted on clay
    sub-soil. They are the first ones to brown out when it gets dry.
    Seems that there usually isn't much money left when it comes time to
    do the landscape/lawn, so homeowner goes w/ low bid. That low bid
    doesn't include any good topsoil. These are usually problem lawns.
    I try to get them on an aeration program & good fertility program &
    try to get them to install irrigation system. ED
  4. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Go to your local magazine stand and get this months issue of National Geographic.

It has a piece on "Urban Sprawl" and "New Developments" that is a real eye-opener! :eek:

The future is in "Postage Stamp" sized lawns....
  5. Ah top soil! The stuff that makes for great lawns. Well most lawns in Hawaii have no top soil. Its either sand or adobe clay soil. So, we do recommend top dresiing with Kellog Topper or a cheaper version made in Hawaii. The typical approach is to verti-cut first then apply 1/2 in. of Topper all over lawn. This will give the lawn plenty of moisture retention that allows the bermuda/zoysia to reestablish. This of course if you are dealing with a fairly decent lawn to start with that has irrigation installed. Otherwise renovation is in order.

Basically the principle is to get the grass acclimated to the poor soil condition and once established, plenty of regular care to keep things green for years on end. We deal exlusivly with southern turf grasses which are tuff and grow in poor conditions, we can do much more with much less in the way of soil quality.

Just thought you may like to know you are not alone in this problem and there is a possible solution other than getting top soil to fix the prob.

6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

here on ROCKY TOP the contractors commomly scalp what little topsoil there is.

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Well, since I live in a desert, well, close to one anyway with real sandy soil, we have the same problems. I had a lawn last year that was high up above the town (I live in a valley, the house was higher in the valley) and since we live in a desert climate, it is very dry. So, this one lawn was like on total sand and rocks. Very crappy soil and no topsoil at all. Now, the lawns that I have in the town (down in the valley) there is all topsoil and the lawns are great. I think that with the pourus, sandy soil that is common here if you DON'T add topsoil before you plant, will not hold water well. Put a hose on part of the lawn that has a sandy base for like 10 mins, go out and there is no standing water. Now, I do this for on my lawn which is topsoil based, and it like instantly puddles, in about 10 secs. Just a thought, but what about top dressing those bad lawns? I mean, you'd have to do the whole lawn, but wouldn't it be easier to top dress a little and seed a little instead of ripping the whole lawn out and starting over if bad soil is a problem? Just a thought. Later guys.
  8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

get a soil sample and just build the soil to where it needs to be.
    you might end up with the whole developement ,when folks se what
    you can do.
  9. Bluegrass Group

Bluegrass Group LawnSite Member

Any builder or homeowner problem is nothing but a sales opportunity for us. I love coming behind builders and doing a landscape upgrade. Usually they have created a lot of problems that won't generally show up for several years ie: poor design, wrong plants for the situation, poor soil conditions, poor drainage etc. This is a great money maker for landscapers. Plants can be transplanted much easier before they get established, drainage can be repaired before shrubs close off easy access. Address the problem with the homeowners and let them decide if it is worth it to them to pay a little for a nicer lawn than their neighbors. Once you do a couple you will have them all calling you for a very profitable service.