1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

anyone offer parking lot maintence

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by 3guys, Feb 8, 2008.

1. 3guys

3guys LawnSite Member

i have a customer that owns 2 gas stations he wants his lots sweept every week am thinking about getting a walk behind power broom but i was wondering if anyone else offers this type of service and if you do what do you use should i get a tractor with one and i cant be a skidsteer it tears the turf up unless you guys know of one that doesnt
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We clean up big parking lots on our commericial properties every day with a 13HP WB Billy Goat blower. And the smaller lots with back pack blowers. Pick the trash up as you go or blow it to one area and pick it up.
  3. 3guys

3guys LawnSite Member

ya is it good enough to blow heavy sand the first time bc in the northeast we have to sand the lots bc of ice
  4. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

For the couple of dollars they are going to pay it wont be worth buying equipment to do it.
  5. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Back pack blow everything to the curbs and Billeygoat it up. Wala. At once a week that would be alot of trash. Talk him in to 2-3 times a week. Thats what we have done with Walgreens lots at 3 times per week.

Good luck
  6. 3guys

3guys LawnSite Member

ya its for mobil and he get ducted points so i got a walk behind blower and 2 backpacks so cenus says those will be fine to do the job and just wondering what do you charge wallgreens per vist
  7. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

To give you an example, a powersweeping company charges on average $30 per visit for a walmart supercenter. This is done every night and includes blowing sidewalks and blowing trash off lawns and mulch.

I did extensive research into sweeping when I was going to add it to my blacktop maintenance business.

The rates are a joke.

If walmart is paying $30, whats a gas station worth?

I sub out my sweeping to a large sweeping company and they charge me $65 an hour.
  8. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Keep in mind, those types of work are not real sweeping. $30 a night, our company would Pi## on that. We usually charge $1,200 for about 3 hours work, 3 men working.

Seems that walmart is cheap and I would stay away. Backpacks and a billy goat are only the beginning for "real" sweeping where you get "real" money.

Try about $150k of equipment minimum before you even start. A lot of properties don't want the toxic dust cloud from blowers 4 times a week.

That's where the boys are separated from the men.

Proper sweeping is "not cheap". The type of sweeping here is more like lowball janitorial... not worth doing in my opinion.

Take care.