Anyone offer stump grinding?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Prestige-Lawncare, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone on here offer stump grinding as a service? I met a guy last summer who used to mow all the time ... now he spends more then half his time grinding stumps and removing overgrown flowerbeds for people.

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

New this year we now offer stump grinding, tree removal, topping, trimming and bucket truck service
  3. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

my buddy does that and has since scaled down his maintenance side. He makes serious bank off of stump removal. He definetly isn't the cheapest guy around, but then again, he also removes te chips and brings in topsoil and eithier reseeds or sods.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No but it's an idea, while the price of the grinder slows most of us down.
    There's one or two guys around here, that's literally all they do (yup, just stump grinding).

That's the way it's supposed to be done.
    I keep trying to tell some of the local guys around here, but it appears they'd rather lowball and do a crappy job.
  5. kkls2006

kkls2006 LawnSite Member

We offer stump grinding,although the tree companies seem to get most of the work, We manage to get about 25-50 stumps a year on average. It's all done with 2 SG25's that fit on our skidsteers and run of the Hydraulics.
  6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I will be buying one this year when things get going again. I get calls all the time to take out trees for people and then they ask me who I know that can take out stumps. I'm tired of passing work off to someone else that we could be doing. We have a couple businesses in this area that have the big stump machines but I'm looking into getting one of those portable stump cutters that you can get into backyards with, they are around $3,500 - $5,000 for commercial models and I think that will be a wise investment on my part.
  7. PowersTree

PowersTree LawnSite Member

Dont top trees. If you are going to get into tree service learn a litlle about it.
  8. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

I offer stump grinding, I just rent a machine as I get the jobs to keep costs down while I don't get many stump jobs
  9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Bought one a year ago. Am doing more of that work and phasing out the lawn maint. business.
  10. AlleganyLawnCare

AlleganyLawnCare LawnSite Member

How much do you charge per stump?