Anyone on here like to cut grass really low?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by retrodog, May 5, 2008.

1. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Hey, I was just wondering if I was an oddball. For some reason I got in the habit of cutting really low like 2" to 2.5" depending on the yard. Seems like it looks alot better afterwards. I know certain grass is supposed to be cut at different heights, but we mainly have bermuda mixed with crap grass down here (clover, crabgrass, st augustine, weeds...lol). I am a little more picky on my "high end" yards actually cutting at the recommended heights, but in general I like it low. I have never got so many complements on the cemeteries than I have this year because I started cutting @ 2" on them. Other than having to really watch what I go over is this a bad habit to be in? Can I end up hurting the crap grasses that I cut so low? Last year I was @ 3" mostly, but its almost standard for me to shoot down to 2" now. Keep in mind we don't have striping grasses around here except for the high end ball fields. My dumb butt went out last year and bought striping kits after seeing your striping pics on here.....lol!

2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Summer around 2.75 spring start at 2.25 and am at 2.5/8 now .

3. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

I've always cut my crap grass about that height and ive never had a problem, and I've cut a lot crap

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Crap grass :laugh:

Last year I think we were calling it "bahia"
    Which, bahia is technically "highway grass."

Did you know...
    A low cut promotes weeds...
    And a high cut promotes a stronger lawn?

Yup, sure does.

But yes you know it, a lawn mower alone still can't turn crap grass into chemlawn.
    And way I see it, if it weren't for crap grass I wouldn't survive.

5. danielslawncare

danielslawncare LawnSite Member

doesnt the bermuda turn yellowwhen cut that low???

6. flascaper

flascaper LawnSite Member

I cut St Augustine needs to be cut at 4 -4.5 inches or it will burn since now it aint raining.:cry:

7. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

the st augustine here is few and far between, I noticed I haven't burned up the little bit that I mow low though.

8. DavisLawn

DavisLawn LawnSite Member

my dad was on me just today about cutting so low.... but i too think it looks alot better... and when you cut some biweekly it needs to be cut short or you wont be able to handle it when you go back it will be so high.

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

great thread....I too wonder about cutting height. I have cut some of my lawns (northern grasses, KBG, fescues, etc) at 2.5 inches, and others at 3 inches. I prefer to cut at 3 in. through the summer but at times it just seems a bit unkept, especially when my customers neighbors are cutting at 1.5 inches (or lower scalp height:) Its hard to stick to your guns and explain to your customers the benefit of a higher cut when their lawn is an inch taller than the neighbors when cut...all they want to see is a kept lawn!

10. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Bermuda will take very low mowing it tillers gets thicker and you will have less weeds. The bunch grasses like Rye, Bluegrass and Fescue will do better at higher mow heights. I have never seen St Augustine over about 2" unless you count the thatch layer.

We cut our bermuda at less than 1" and it does look great.