Anyone ON schedule??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turfdude, Apr 20, 2003.

1. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

We have had a helluva past 6 months! We never finished our fall ferts or clean-ups. Winter was good for snow removal, but it wouldn't go away early enough. We started our "spring" 3-4 weeks late too. Then we lost another week to more snow and rain:angry: !
    We're behind on clean-ups (will be done by week's end)!
    behind on fertilizing (pre-M app + lime apps done by mid next week)
    waaaaayyyyyyyy behind on mulch - no end in sight till mid-June
    landscaping - doing maybe $4K/week as all above is killing us! - we're currently booking into mid-late June.

I know I'm not alone in this as all of my fellow LCO competitors in the area are experiencing the same problems. I find that I have been pushing my staff and myself especially a little harder this year. When the weather is good we average 55 hour weeks. I hate paying all of the OT cause it eats away the profits, but we have to try to get the jobs done in a timely fashion.

Thanks for letting me rant a little. Rodfather, Bobbygedd, others in this area - how are you guys doing??

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I feel your pain. We currently have 17 cleanups to finish, mulch jobs sitting, over seeding, fert. and just landed 2 15K jobs that are going to tie us up for about 2 weeks.

I am taking out a new soon to be foreman tomorrow to test him out. Then we are going to be purchasing another truck and trailer. We have been turning down work under $200.00. Just can't keep up with everything. Now they are calling for 2 days of rain this week. :rolleyes:

3. cturner

cturner LawnSite Member

god i need more work i wish i had problems like u guys

4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Yup, I'm right on track.

5. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We are just about on schedule, the only problem is we wont see the other 4 trailer trucks worth of mulch for 2 weeks or more. We got one delivered 64 yards but one house we have to do is 52 yards alone. And still have 8 condominiums and many homes. We might be a week or two behind on mulch but otherwise in great shape.

6. ParkerLawn

ParkerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

My business has exploede this year and we don't get any snow here and I am still overloaded. We did have a couple of rain days a few weks ago and I thought htis was getting us behind, but now i am realizing it is not he weather it is we have more jobs than we can do in the time we thought possible. I have also been telling custoemrs they are looking at 2-3 weeks before we can get to them but they are willing to wait for us, so that is a good thing. This has been our biggest year yet and we just got started. I have also been turning down jobs under $500 due to the fact that we are booking big jobs everyday it seems. We have averaged just under $20k each month the last 2 months. I have hired 3 more people in the last month and am working on getting a mowing crew only and a seperate landscaping crew organized so we are more prepared for this new revenue. This year we have really made a name for ourselves and I mean that by most of the business is coming from referrals and people seeing us at the jobs and stopping to ask if we will come look at their properties. I hav estarted bidding higher lately due to the fact that we are so covered up and people are still taking our bids. This is a good thing though and it gets stressful at times but I just try to work it out the best I can and deal with it. If you are going to keep expanding this is just part of it and you deal with it and make it work and stay where you are. I have really enjoyed this year so far. We have been working 12-13hrs day 7 days a week for the past month and no end in sight. I hope everyone is having a good season and if you want to come help me out, I can give directions.

7. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Only thing I am off schedule is getting the irrigation system started.

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Anyone ON schedule??

no.

I was on schedule a month ago. Its rained or snowed 5 out of 7 days for the past 4 weeks.

The only sure thing is the grass is starting to grow. I take solace in the fact that every LCO in my area is as behind as me so I can't lose jobs to them and vice versa.

9. LLMSERVICE

LLMSERVICE LawnSite Member

I have never started clean ups before easter weekend...until this year. I juggled time off my career to handle clean ups and get my fiance trained on the new equipment last week.

Day one - 28 degrees and windy - slow going - shredded belts on new dethatcher
    Day two - 4" of snow
    Day three, four, five - non stop rain.

Today - hopefully a salvagable day.

10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

The rain has greatly impacted my being on schedule. Hopefully I will catch you before fall cleanups get here! Being busy is a great thing as long as you can keep up.

Gravely_Man