anyone operate a franchise?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dr grass, Sep 4, 2002.

1. dr grass

dr grass Banned

I was wondering if anyone operates a lawn care franchise. i am currently in flint, mi. which is a great area for growing my business. however, im an outdoorsey type, and eventually would like to open another branch up in Grayling or the surrounding area. maybe even Traverse City. this would suite my outdoor bug very well. Grayling is right on the snow belt, so i definately want to get a plow truck going up there within a year or 2. my parents have a house in Grayling, so that would work out great for me. anywho, just looking for any comments or advice on this subject. havent heard much on it in here. Thanks! !

Shep :blob4:

2. dr grass

dr grass Banned

wow! been a few days and i don't haveany responses to this post. i guess lawn care isnt a very franchiseable (is that a word) lol) business. well, maybe ill be the first! wouldnt that be great.....

Shep :p

3. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a franchise with a Lawn Franchise company,franchising is real big in this part of the world.Click here to read about the worlds biggest http://www.jims.net/ .

4. dr grass

dr grass Banned

wow jim ........ are you a millionaire? lol

shep

5. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

:cry: I'm not ,I'm only one of the workers.But the real Jim certainally is many times over,theres over 2000 lawn franchises.This is the real Jim below,he's shaved his beard off!.

jimstadium1x.gif

6. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

US LAWNS
    SCOTTS
    Lawn Doctor
    Spring Green
    Lawn Dog
    etc

There are a bunch out there. Just do a search on the net or look in the back of any of the trade mag's.

Not sure what all a Franchise can offer that you can't get on your own besides name recognition. Sometimes, I definetly think their names don't give off a good image, so that may not even be a benny.

Good Luck though!

7. dr grass

dr grass Banned

thanks for the pic jim - i hope to be there some day! guido - i didnt mean for me to use another company's name. i was referring to branching out my own company. i would never go into business with anyone. that way i know everything that happens is on my shoulders. thanks again, all!

Shep :blob4:

8. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

the blonde ballon girl is kind of cute, i might be interested j/k

9. The Mowerdude

The Mowerdude LawnSite Senior Member

I think I'm with Guido on this one.

I don't really see the benefits. But that may be because I've got a numbers years under my belt and learned some lessons along the way. I suppose that if a man was just starting out and was totally clueless AND he was willing to listen (something very few scrubs around here will do) a franchise could really pave the way and shorten the learning curve.

However, I'd like to know more about how a franchise really works. Do you buy a onetime thing or do you have to keep on paying and paying and paying.

Is it a partnership where the franchise becomes a "loan" that never gets paid off?

10. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

franchise will cost you up front, and a % of revenue per yr.

i've seen 6-8 % per yr for lawn care.

in house cleaning (ie merry maids) i've seen up to 8% as well, for comparison.