Anyone operate a strictly female crew?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wells, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

This year I decided to start up a second crew and I have hired a female worker as the crew leader. She had plenty of experience doing this type of work, a desire to be outside, and seemed extremely self motivated. Now I just need to find one more worker for that crew and I was considering hiring another female employee.
    Does anybody currently operate a strictly female crew and if so does it operate more effectively or less effectively than a strictly male crew?

2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Bet you get more accounts with just chicks being the crew. :cool2:

3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Does me and my wife count??:canadaflag: :usflag: :laugh:

4. lowballer17

lowballer17 LawnSite Member

I know I wouldnt get anything done with that set up.

5. Sir mowsalot

Sir mowsalot LawnSite Senior Member

Im confused. Are you calling yourself a girl?

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yes I do ..let's see...there is me..myself and I and we are all three female.

7. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

I know there a plenty of husband/wife teams out there doing maintenance work but I can't say i've ever seen a strictly female crew out their and by the lack of responses I'm going to assume it's not all that common in this particular industry.

So, if I was to give it a try would you assume that the female crew would be every bit as effective as the guys grew, and would you foresee any problems?

8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yes women fight and get jealous of one another

9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

that's just a generalization.
    the question is just hard to answer, cause every individual is going to be different. if you can hook up your female crew leader with someone that she is compatiable with, I see no reason why 2 women couldn't work well together.. INFACT, I would rather have a crew of 2 women, then 1 guy one chic cause I think with the guy and chic there would be more chance of carrying on.
    Wells, if you could bring your female crew leader in with you to the hiring process, that would be a plus. Let her give you her imput on who she thinks she would be comfortable working with.

10. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

Well i dont want to get hammered on my comments, but my ex partner was a woman, worked harder then most guys i see around, but she had her limits. I know everyone has their limits on things, we catch most of our grass clippings here, she struggled when she had to dump wet grass into the truck and usually took her longer to mow because of that problem. She may even dump more often so the bag wasnt as heavy, that is more time spent dumping. Dont get me wrong, she was great to work with, i hope i can find someone that works at least half as hard as she did. On the plus side of things, i think woman are more maticulus on things, especially when it came to mulch and flowerbed work. I'm not trying to put woman down at all, just stating some of the limitations. Like i said before i hope i can find anyone that worked as hard as she did, man or woman. Just my 2 cents.