Anyone out there school teachers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zMaster225, Jul 9, 2008.

1. zMaster225

zMaster225 LawnSite Member

Just wondering if any business owners/operators here are also full time teachers. I started my lawn business 4 years ago and now I'm up to about 70 residential mowing contracts and all the other good stuff. I'll be a first year teacher in the spring so I was just wondering if anyone is in the same boat as I am.

And don't try to tell me I can't manage!

2. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Some of the guys teach school on the side to make extra $$$.

3. elite lawns

elite lawns LawnSite Senior Member

i have taught for 4 years and been in the business the same amount of time. Next year will be my first year teaching part time p.e/health three days a week

4. echo8287

echo8287 LawnSite Member
    from Ga

I teach 4 days a week from 6 to 10 at night at a technical college. David

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

What does this mean? Are you hiring a crew and somebody is questioned your ability to supervise others?

6. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

One of my friends is a teacher that teaches at our church's grade school. He thought about starting a landscape service for summer because he worked for a landscape company in Wisco for 5 years during H.S./college, but he had a kid and likes to spend a lot of his summer with him, so he just does the few landscape jobs I get with me. He gets an extra $500 per summer without having to buy equipment and other the other expenses, and we work very well together. That's just my teacher situation.

7. zMaster225

zMaster225 LawnSite Member

Ha, what I meant was "Don't tell me I won't be able to manage having 2 full time jobs." It's going to be tough once I start teaching till 2pm every day, but I'll figure it out.

8. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

I have been teaching high school math and coaching football for 15 years now. Love teaching, coaching, and mowing.

9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks, that clears up what you meant. However, it opens a whole other topic of "full time" teachers, and the claims of work overload. But, I will leave that discussion for another day.

10. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

Teaching fulltime highschool, mowing business fulltime.:weightlifter:

teaching is my calling, cutting grass in the lawn business is my passion. Best of both worlds