Anyone own a welder?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Uranus, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I have to do some welding on my trailer fender and reinforce the bottom side of my cage. I'm thinking of buying a small welder and doing it myself. I have some experience welding but it is very limited. I'm wondering if anyone owns a small welder and how they like it? Any good models I should be looking for over others?
  2. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

LINCOLN WELDERS good company overall well est
  3. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a small MIG welder. Millermatic 180. Never had a problem with it yet after 2 years. I'd recommend it, although I don't have a ton of experience with any other welders yet. Might want to check on and I'm sure you'll get a ton of responses.
  4. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I would get a Mig welder that works off of a 120v plug. Unless you are going to put it were a 220v plug is available. I have a Lincoln that I think I paid $500 for that works good for my use.
  5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Lincoln mig less than 500 top 10 best purchases for the last 6 years. fixes just about any thing. fabs up stuff quick and easy.
  6. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Do you or anyone else know a model number of the licolns?
  7. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

a little something about Lincoln electric. From an economics research project. These piecework factory works make upwards of 125k a year. WORKING IN A FACTORY!!!!!!!!! they are matched by none!
  8. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I have a weld-pack 100, wish I had the 135 but on the whole I am very happy with my purchase, welding started as a need for fixing stuff and quickly became a hobby. As long as you get a wire-feed welder that can be up-graded to mig- you'll be fine.
  9. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I have a Lincoln Pro Mig 175. I love it. But it is 220. My friend has a Lincoln that runs off 120 and it will weld anything you need it to. We welded 1/4" plate the other day with his. I say go with the biggest one that runs on 120. I forget his model number but it was something like HD3000 or something like that. I know it had HD in it. I would also get a bottle of gas for it. It is easier for me to use gas as shielding rather than the flux core.
  10. adamc44

adamc44 LawnSite Member

ive got a lincoln 135 with gas, it does everything ill ever need to do.