anyone own or use a 1999 hustler 1500 shortcut???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by milo, Jun 25, 2006.

1. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

i can buy one of these from a guy but dont know how they are. you can like stand on it and the seat is in the rear. it is a 60 inch cut. anyone ever use one?? if yes how are they in speed, cut ride? any help great..

2. milo

so no one ever used one of these?????

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I found the one i used to be high but alot of fun. The deck on the 60" is offset about two feet so it will get under bushes.

4. milo

so are they perty good mower to??? i always run zero turn riders and hoping they are something like them in handling and speed?? let me know thanks

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

They Zero turn just like mowers now. I forgot what speed they do and the deck is the old Hustler deck but it was a good mower unless you where in very wet grass. I think back in the day any mower was bad in wet grass.

See if PJ cant find the video on it-I said video not DvD:laugh:

6. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

Had a friend that used to use one. Said they were about as fast as a walkbehind but a lot heavier and prone to rutting. A 1999 is still an old mower, don't know if I'd want to use it as a primary :nono:

7. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed a 54" one, I liked the H bar steering. It was high, mine had a 20 koh

very loud with small muffler needs a large canister. The seat was hard it

was above the gas tank. I've seen them on the Hustler web site. Would I buy

one? Depends on price and condition.

8. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen them on the Hustler web site

Edward,
    Where on Hustler's website did you see the Shortcut? I looked on it but couldn't find it. Did it show any video that was referred to earilier in this thread? Where can that be seen at?.....anyone know?

9. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

They haven't made the shortcut in a few years. It has the same controlsashulers walkbehinds. the h-bar they call it is the easiest controls of any mower. The decks are similaretothe older wB decks also. they cut great. ti was a stand orsit mower long before wright had the idea of the sentar.

10. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 99 Shortcut, still using it today. I just recently replaced the 22 Kholer with a 25. It is put up on weekends in the garage and if there is a threat of rain it gets put up. That year model came with the carrier frame that sports the small castor tires. It is a rough ride. Back in 2004 I got a deal on the Hustler Hog. In that deal I got a new carrier frame with the larger tires. Also in the deal they pitched in a new model 54 inch deck. The plan was to put together another 54 inch mower. Instead I kept the Hog in tact and just replaced the carrier and deck on my original Shortcut. Finally this year my 22 Kohler was having serious issues so I installed the 25. Other than that I love the machine. When it is time to switch over to a ZTR rider it will be a tough transition for me. I love this machine. I also love my Hog, that thing is total BAD!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]