1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone paint they're own trailer?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Field King, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Field King

Field King LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought my first trailer, a used 6 x 12 single axle, 5 years old, paint is a little faded and a few rust spots, I do not have an air compressor, has anyone done they're own trailer painting, I am looking for how to tips? Thanx.
  2. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have painted several of my trailers. I always use Rustoleum or Ace Hardware "Rust Stop" paint, in spray cans. Be sure you get one of those plastic trigger attachments, as your finger will be worn out after spraying about 3 cans.
  4. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I am painting my dump trailer tomorrow. Black rustoleum. I probably roll it on
  5. Field King

Field King LawnSite Senior Member

This is probably a dumb question, but did u guys sand down the rusty spots before spraying the rustoleum?
  6. Cuttinitclose

Cuttinitclose LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes sand it down or you will be at square one in a couple months or less.
  7. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I wire wheeled everything and put a coat of rusty metal primer on first.
  8. pondfishr

pondfishr LawnSite Member

Get Sherwin Williams Industrial Enamal Paint. Just had my mid 90's Cronkhite trailer sprayed and it looks brand new.
  9. Lakewlc

Lakewlc LawnSite Bronze Member

im in the middle of doing a 6.5x12 landscape and i did exactly that.
  10. Nozzleman

Nozzleman LawnSite Member

I did mine last spring. I used a wire cup brush on my Milwaukee grinder and hit all the rust spots. About five cans of rustoleum black and the trailer looked new. However, it's starting to rust again (outside winter storage).