1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone partner with a company the only does certain services?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AGG Lawn Maintenance, Oct 10, 2002.

1. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

Does anyone partner with a company that only does sprinklers or chemicals? I was thinking about hooking up with a company that only does landscaping. We mainly maintain landscapes and lawns. They do tons of commercial work. We do Res. and commercial work. I am looking to do more commercial work. I have been doing this for about 15 years now. I have the mowers and good help. Why am I not doing tons of commercial work now?Well my bids are higher then the other guys most of the time. You konw how the business is cut throat. I figure after they do the landscaping we would have a foot in to bid the lawn maintenance. Sometimes its who you know.
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We partner with a firm that does a lot of work with pavers, rail road ties for rock gardens, padios, outdoor lighting, etc. It has worked well for us.
  3. I have a project going with anoher LCO for doing snow, and ice control.

I have a few I do lawn applications for that are out of my area.

This is how you grow your biz without the initial expence.

I used to do a lot of mowing for a maint. biz who did not mow, but did the rest, I helped him build up close to $5k worth of mowng a week, and whamo he started his own mowing crew the begining of last year.
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I work very closely with a spray company here. Its been a win-win situation for both of us. But, we are 2 separete companies. No partnership.
  5. anythinglawns

anythinglawns LawnSite Member

I had a "you scratch my back I'll scratch yours" deal going with the local Lawn Doctor franchise. It went really well for both of us. LD got a job offer he said he could not refuse and sold his business. New guy did not want to have same working relationship. Anyway, it was a real boost to business.
  6. hustlers

hustlers LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

with scotts fertilizing until
    he did mowing and stole my accounts

I almost slit his throat, wrote some
    nasty letters to him, to the paper
    called him, im 21 hes 40/

He wont even look at me anymore cause
    he knows i will show him what happens
    to worthless scam artists.
    NO partnerships ever.

Just refer people you like!!!stop there
  7. MJStrain

MJStrain LawnSite Member

I have a lady who does all our planting. She signed a contract forbidding her to do any work with my customers for five years if she stops working with me. She does great work and has been very dependable. It's been a win win situation for us. :)
  8. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

Interesting concept... who buys the material?? who assumes the liability for the plant material that is installed if it dies??

I am working with an Irrigation contractor that also does lighting. They also dabble in additions, etc. It is a good fit all around. I have no intentions of getting into irrigation and it would be a few years before I would be comfortable with decks a lighting. Still ahve a ton to learn about lawncare/landscaping..

If you can sell irrigation, even if you do not do it, in the long run you will help yourself. Make your product look that much better..

Just my $.02