anyone preparing for next year yet?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by DiSantolandscaping, Oct 21, 2012.

1. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

still finalizing alot of the paperwork and company crap. plan to put together a nice portfolio outlinning services and benefits etc. to market to parish/county govts, state depts,FEMA, corops of engineers and municipalities. im really getting some great positive feedback from a few firends in the govt sector on my ideas and see this as my niche to run with.
  2. DiSantolandscaping

DiSantolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

well sounds like you know what your doing, and you got a good handle on things. I just went over all my contracts and stuff to see what i can do next year as i plan to go full time. Id also like to get in to more of the heavy contstruction within five years. kind of use the landscaping as a stepping stone sort of speak.

where im at in maine right now its mostly commercial work and most of that is road construction. so I think if i put my mind to it i can do it. good luck and hope it works out for you.
  3. Toro 455

Toro 455 LawnSite Member

I'm just planning on keeping all my same customers.

Funny story....I was just finishing up my biggest customer. Last cut of the year. I was about 30 seconds from finishing up and leaving when I saw the plant manager come out the office door. He mad a bee line straight for me looking prety stern.
    I'm thinking "Oh boy, here it comes!"
    We had a comprehensive contract. One price for all the lawn maintenance paid in 12 monthly increments.
    We had a drought last summer. For about two months they didn't get mowed at all! I did what I could filling in with pruning, mulching and whatever but it wasn't worth near what they'd been paying me.
    I shut down the mower when he walks up and he says "I've been working on the budget for next year, is it going to be the same as last year?" I can just grin and nod my head. I finally manage to squeak out, "Does everything look OK?" He replies "Excellent, excellent!" and walks back inside.

Wheeeeew, and YIPPEE!! There will be a 2013 for me!
  4. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

That's an Awesome Plan! Congratulations!
  5. Lawnvision

Lawnvision LawnSite Member

Yep me too! Been 12 Yrs for me!
  6. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

Plan to fill in holes and tighten up all the routes, and start adding to the current routes we have in place.
  7. italianstallion69

italianstallion69 LawnSite Member

we landscape all winter long.

but yes!

goals for 2013

do 2x the number of dollar generals =12

do 2x the number of olivegardens/redlobsters = 4

do at least 1 hotel - hampton inn etc

do out of state work in maryland, ohio, and virginia, oklahoma (pending)

expand to 2 crews- PA crew - travel crew

buy more box trucks so every jobsite has its own box truck for storage of tools

buy a rollback truck for equipment hauling/get a fulltime cdl drive

get a real office!

trying to break 1,000,000 next year. definitely do-able!
  8. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

Im planning on going thru the list
    1 see who needs a bump
    2 who to drop
    3 look at the equipment list
    4 maybe actually take more than 2 days in a row off
    5 after this year decide next year will be my last(Ive done this every year for the past 4-5)
  9. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a good goal. How much are you going to do this year? Do you have one crew now? Why the traveling? Do you have your area saturated?
  10. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

I don't think anyone has said it yet, but make sure you are caught up on all of your paper work. Start any paper work that you may need to do in the Spring so you know what needs to get done.

I just bought out another business yesterday so I am know up to 45 accounts, I have apprx. 10 more clients on my route that will be signing up with me in the 2013 season after they saw the work that I did this past season.

I will be going around to all of my new customer's that I inquired through the business buy-out and will double check everything that they will expect for the upcoming season. Talk about any new projects that they have been thinking about or maybe give them some ideas about a new patio or landscaping feature, etc.

I also mail out Christmas cards to my customers just to remind them how nice of a guy I am.

I haven't gotten into plowing yet, maybe next year but I have a Honda 928 track snowblower that I go around and take care of any neighbors, family, clients that need their driveways or sidewalks cleaned and I will make upwards of $800 a day, working a 10-12 hour day if the work is their.