anyone preparing for next year yet?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by DiSantolandscaping, Oct 21, 2012.

1. kyles landscape

kyles landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I got a 9 ft western on my dump lol and a salter haha gas is gna kill me too! But that's why u gotta get decent amt of accounts and make enough
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes indeed. After running the numbers, I'm not going to make as much as I'd like for snow but everything (plow) will be paid for and for this season, that is what matters. My route is tight with the exception of one account which is residential but it will pay considerably well for higher depths of snow. We have snow in the forecast for Sunday. Buy the plow within the next couple days, and have it installed & ready for the storm.

3. kyles landscape

Ya its all good if it snows haha I plowed 3x last season it sucked! I try to have all my bills paid from landscaping so plowing is gravy money bc I cannot count on it
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. JContracting

That's why I'll always be per push/time & materials for plowing. Make all the money to cover overhead & personal bills during the landscape season, that way if there's a season like last year, all bills will be paid and stress is limited and if there's a big year for snow, more money for me!

How old are you btw? Figured I'd ask.

5. kyles landscape

I'm 21 been doin the landscaping for few years but this was my first serious year and first year snow plowing usually used snowblower hby?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Exmarkboy13

Exmarkboy13 LawnSite Senior Member

im buying a trailer, JRCO dethacher, another br 600, and maybe a new edger. Just bought a TON of gator g6 blades off mow part. Cant wait to see what all the hype is about.

7. JContracting

21 as well. I started my company in 2011. Worked for a local municipality doing installs & maintenance and got my company going slow. I didn't plow for myself last year, I only had a half ton. I ran skid for the first company I ever worked for (back in 2007) and I plowed twice, one 3" storm & then the one big storm we had that was around 16" or so? I also worked a part time job 30-35 hrs a week in retail to basically make ends meet for me through the winter and in early/mid March I went on a vacation to FL for Spring Break with some friends, it got to about 75 degrees in MN when we were gone and the season got going very shortly after and never looked back aside the whole thing with my former friend/business partner. Starting in June this year I took on my business full time. I made it work so far, had a very nice fall, Sept, Oct, & Nov (and Dec if we land this late season clean up I just looked at, plus this snow storm we may have coming our way), were extremely profitable months.

I'm looking at a plow tomorrow morning and if it checks out, I'll buy it and have it installed just in time for this weekend.

8. JContracting

14 years old? You're off to a good start. I wish I got started earlier than 19 like I did. How do you get from property to property?

9. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I just received my Ornamental and Turf pesticide applicator certification, so I'm hoping to provide additional services to my current customers and the benefit of "one-stop shopping" lawn care to prospective customers.

Also, I'm hoping to add a new 52 inch zero turn to our walk behinds so we can increase efficiency and be able to take on slightly larger properties than we currently service.

10. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

probably won't happen anyways, I probably will have to finance it, I'm just worried I won't get approved for a mortgage. Even though I've heard an auto loan and mortgage are the two easiest loans to get approved for, I've tried to get neither before, I have good credit, just a short history only had credit for 6 years. and believe it or not that is the main thing hurting my credit.

that's alot of growth for a year, I would break that down into 2 years, sounds like you do have a lot of buying to do, I did most of this last year, a little bit this year, upgraded my 05 scag tiger cub i bought new at 16 for 2012 scag cheetah with a 61" deck and 34hp kohler and then bought the triple bagger system for 2800 out the door in the fall just in time to start charging for picking up leaves while i mow. looks like you may be younger, but I have pretty much everything I need, bought a 2005 big tex 16' landscape trailer last year, bought a newer giant vac leaf vac last year, bought a morbark chipper with a 12" chipping capacity last year, bought a stihl ms 440 magnum in like new condition last year, two stihl 200t top handles, an ms 201t new last year, a 9hp little wonder leaf blower. this year was i upgraded the mower, got the bagger for it, just picked up my 3rd back pack a new br600. next year before spring time i plan to pick up another br600, and the jrco tine rake, and that's about it, nothing else i really need for next year, maybe a new spool of string, and another case of two stroke oil, truck, and trailer got new tires in august or september, credit cards are just about paid off, student loans are paid off, and i picked up my plow last year for 300 fisher minute mount 1 8' heavy duty commercial, and it's been with the truck i bought for 16 years.