Anyone Pulling a 20' enclosed or larger

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Advanced Lawn Care Inc., Feb 8, 2009.

1. Advanced Lawn Care  Inc.

Advanced Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Member
    from IN

I was thinking of buying a 20 or 22' enclosed trailer. I wasn't sure how my chevy 2500hd with a 6.0L gas would do with a trailer this size and what I could expect with gas mileage.

2. Advanced Lawn Care  Inc.

from IN

Somebody has to be pulling an enclosed trailer with a gas engine, let me know how it is on your vehicle. Is there a lot of pull on the truck?

3. ford550

ford550 LawnSite Member
    from PA

We pull a 22' haulmark enclosed, but we pull with a Ford F550 with a 7.3L diesel, don't really feel it back there.

4. Advanced Lawn Care  Inc.

from IN

Yeh, I figured the diesel would pull it with no problem but I am wondering if the gas would pull it fairly easy or is it going to be to much

5. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

My neighbor has a 24' 8.5' wide snow mobile trailer. It has four sleds in it. About 3000 Lbs of sleds. The trailer weighs about 3500 Lbs. His truck is a F-250, 5.4 gas engine, Crew Cab long bed. The truck is lifted 8" with 38" tires. We have not had a chance to redo the gears to compensate the lift and tires. Guess what, truck pulls that big trailer with NO PROBLEMS!!! I know this is not a landscaping set up, but maybe it will shed some light. I think you will be fine with the gas engine. Oh, did I mention that his gas mileage sucks something awful:laugh: Diesel are great for towing, but gas can hold its own.

6. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry, forgot to mention, his trailer is also enclosed.

7. Advanced Lawn Care  Inc.

from IN

Thats what I was afraid of my truck only gets maybe 9-10 mpg with my open 18'. Also, I here alot of people with diesel say that they can barely tell there is a trailer even being pulled. I can feel the pull with just my open 18' and I didn't want to have to hammer it every time just to get the enclosed going and stay up to speed on highways.

8. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

An enclosed is a lot harder on a truck to pull than an open trailer by far! If you're mainly doing residentials you need to look at if you need to be hauling all of that stuff around. If you need multiple larger machines for big accounts and actually need a huge setup, go for it. It should do fine. If you're looking at long term I'd eventually get a diesel, dually setup for something that size.

9. Advanced Lawn Care  Inc.

from IN

Thank you for the input, I would hate to have spent $4000 - $8000 on a trailer and find out it isn't going to work out

10. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

I ordered a 8.5x28' enclosed for lawn maintenance. I wanted something big enough to haul every possible thing the crew would need so I had to go to 28'. It will be pulled by a 2500HD 6.0L for awhile to try it out. The truck will pull it I know, but the mileage is going to suck. I will eventually buy a Duramax or Cummins for it but I want to see how the economy is going to go this year first.