Anyone put door hangers out at night?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mrusk, Mar 4, 2006.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I'm considering using door hangers this year. I'm wondering what your thoughts were on putting them out starting at around 4am and go too around 6.30. This way i could advoid talking to people. Last year i tried the knocking on doors thing. Didn't work out too well. Seemed like people did not like being bothered. Also, if i put out the hangers at night i may be able to cut across lawns instead of going down a 200 foot driveway then up another 200 foot driveway to get to a house thats only 50 feet away. I think i could triple my productivity.

I just wanted you guys thoughts on this.

2. Billz

Billz LawnSite Member

Well, it is more dangerous doing that at night. I would worry about being shot or attacked by someones dog, or even having the police pay you a visit. I would be creeped out if I saw someone pass my window at 4:30 am and going up to my door. Most legit companies would never do that, I think. A thief posing to be doorhanging would be more believable by the
  3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Correct..this is NOT a good idea AT ALL!!!!
  4. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Horrible idea. I would definitely not want someone around my house at that time.
  5. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

lol, i was think about starting my route at about 2 am and getting done mowing as the sunrises...not a good idea either i guess?
  6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Your local ordinances may require a permit for doing door-to-door activities. By just hanging something on the door, a permit may not be required. However, your local ordiances may have permissable hours to do these kinds of activities.

Beside those issues, having residents seeing somebody scampering from door to door at an odd hour is bound to raise a red flag -- cause for a visit from the local police department.

I'm interested in your first comment, "... to avoid talking to people," or something like that. Since you are doing door hangers, you aren't ringing door bells, but if you were doing the route at hours when people are out, you are likely to find people to talk. Isn't this a good thing? Why wouldn't you want to engage people in an attempt to explain your services. I would think the likelihood of you developing a customer from a conversation on the driveway is far greater than somebody merely picking up a door hanger off their front door. What am I missing in you wanting to avoid talking to people? If you are more concerned about the rate at which you can distribute door hangers than developing customers, then I believe you've missed the point of advertising.
  7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

agreed...why avoid want to engage as many as you can in conversation.And to be able to cut across lawns?Well if I had a lawn and you were cutting across it in the middle of the night you would have a good chance of leaving with an azz full of buckshot.
  8. Luvs2Play

Luvs2Play LawnSite Member

Distribute them during daylight hours. Wear some nice pants, a white shirt, tie, and wear a backpack. Take a friend dressed the same way. You won't have to worry about anyone answerring the door.
  9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Well think about the wee hours the morning paper is delievered! Usually 5:00 to 5:30 am. I certianly wouldn't go out before then though. One person hears a bump at their door, gets up and sees you walking off their property or up to another house and I promise you the cops will be called! Waiting more to when the paper is delievered, if they do hear you sticking the flyer in the door they are likely to assume it's the paper boy. The big plus is when they open the door the get the paper your hanger will be right there!
  10. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I'm in agreement with Luvs2play... Just dress like a Witness and they will duck behind the couch and turn off the TV just to not have to talk to you...