anyone put wider tires on their WB? and....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grn Mtn, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering if anyone has put wider tires on their WB? Mine are due for replacement and I figured a wider tire would put less ground pressure and hold the hills better. I haven't really had any probs with my Toro 48" belt but why not put on something better.

Speaking of belts, have anyone used the belt conditioner spray's I've seen. I guess they help keep them from drying out and provide better traction when wet?

Lastly, anyone ever put a stripping roller on a WB? Would you have to use a sulky to make it work, otherwise I would imagine you would just keep stepping on it.
  2. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

don't do it you will mess up your ground speed and the hydros gallons per min. flow rate is set for specific tire size.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

1. No, the thought never really crossed my mind, the only options in my case are 2-ply vs. 4-ply (4-ply is way better), beyond that I keep them inflated to the max psi and practice, lots and lots of that.
    2. No aftermarket crap on the belts, once again it boils down to practice.
    3. Yes, I have a velke, dunno if you'd stub your toes or not, but I do know the engine feels the weight of the kit.
  4. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Drew Gemma
  5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

don'tr put taller tires.... wider shoudlbe OK provided you have the room, but in most cases there isnt a whole lot of room for wider.

Max PSI isn't alwasy the best. you want the tire to conform to the ground, not compress it. thats why guys to who go sand boggin' and rock climbing run low PSI so the tires can conform and grip. the ground.

spray some water on the pavement and then run your mower through it. you want the contact patch of the tire to be wet all the way across such that it leaves the full impression of the tire on the ground.

if you run the tire through and only a small area is leaving a mark on the pavement, then you have too much air.

Usually 15 psi is good....
  6. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

He asked about belt conditioner. I do not think he would be worried about hudro gpm flow...

I agree here. Wider should be okay, but taller would change the ground speed and gear ratio to the ground. I have a 36" and some gates it barley goes through, so I will not be putting wider tires on mine, as they then would stick out past the deck.
  7. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

sorry i didn't notice my bad plus i refuse to run belt drives
  8. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

48" WB belt drive.

plenty of room for wider tires, nope don't want taller, just wider.

did some research and found a wheel-less sulky that doubles as a striper -- the Proslide XT.

Thanks for the feedback so far.
  9. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have any walk behinds, but I did put wider tires on my 52" tiger cub, because of rutting. Also it helped on hill sides. Walker mowers have optional wider tires and wheel spacers. Wider tires also let you run lower tire pressure for a better ride. The ride height needs to stay the same or your deck pitch and cutting height will be off.
  10. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I thought about putting wider tires on my 32. As it is now, it kind of ruts more than I like. I decreased the tire pressure quite a bit and that helped some. If I was to put wider tires on it, they would stick out pass the deck a little and the reaseon I got th 32 is to fit in tight areas, so IDK.