Anyone raising prices this year????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by packerbacker, Mar 29, 2004.

1. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Raised most of mine 5 bucks a piece due to the gas situation this summer, now i have a min of $30.00, all my customers were fine except for one, the single doctor who lives in the $400,000 house and drives the Lexus, go figure.

2. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Yup I'm doing the same. I wouldn't let customers know that it is related to the rising gas cost. Will you lower them when gas goes back down??? Better to just say due to the rising cost of doing business...........

3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I did the same this year... $30 minimum. A fair amount of our accounts are under 5000 sqft too. Had to do it. Everything is going up.. salaries, fuel, insurances, gotta pass the buck to make a buck. We retained over 95% of contracts we sent out. The ones we lost and chose not to renew have already been replaced and more continue to roll our way.

4. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinkling of going upa little due to gas prices . Haven't started doing much regular service really. We'll see.

The rich guys didn't get rich by giving there money away and busting the balls of there lawn man.

Good Luck

5. packerbacker

Yup I'm doing the same. I wouldn't let customers know that it is related to the rising gas cost. Will you lower them when gas goes back down??? Better to just say due to the rising cost of doing business.......

<b>Yeah i said gas but i also said price of equipment and just plain trying to stay competitive with everyone else. I dont think they mind the gas thing, we all know its never going back down to what it used to be.</b>

6. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I have almost all of my customers at a comfortable price right now. I only had to raise the price on1-2 accounts this year. One guy had some landscaping put in that now requires extra mow and trim time, so I had to compensate for that. The other has a ditch in the back that she now wants trimmed.....extra $5.

7. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

I had a few of my accounts add 5 dollars on their own, they said "Frosty here is an extra $5, gas has gone up so much are you going to stay in business. I told them yes I am. I went up $5 per account this year and most of my accounts understand. GOOD LUCK AND GOD SPEED TO ALL!!!!:cool:

8. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

I only wish I could afford to raise prices! Man, if i could get $30 for 5000 sq ft. I'd feel like I was in heaven - Turfdude, treasure what you've got!
    Things are so bad here with the economy and saturated market that you're LUCKY to get $18 for 5000 sq ft. And if you raise that 50 cents to cover gas or cost of living, etc..... They"ll fire you in a second (mainly because there's about 300-400 LCOs trying to work in one little section of the city that's got a population of about 30,000) - there's a scrub, lowballer or college kid just waiting to take the account. Try to remind these people that you're insured, pay taxes and pay into the very social security system that sends them a check every month (unlike most scrubs) and they could care less - 50 cent cheaper is 50 cents cheaper! It sucks.
    I've been in this business for 25 years and in the same market the whole time too. It used to be great, but now, every out of work Joe with a pick-up and a lawnmower has a lawn service (while collecting unemployment on the side!) - it's getting hard to complete. I've had commerical bids tell me I was 2 times higher than the next highest bid (and those were prices I would have quoted 6-8 years ago). This is the only business that I know of that you can get work done for the same price (if not cheaper!) than you could 10 years ag0. Sorry for the rant/vent - had to get it off my chest.
    I only wish I could raise my prices to cover gas costs - for now I'll just have to eat it just to keep my client base.

9. packerbacker

Jason if any of your clients give a s*** about you then they will understand, heck i had one client actually offer to pay me an extra 5 bucks and another laugh and say " i was wondering when you would get around to charging what the rest of them do"

10. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I agree with packer. Take care of your customers and they will take care of you. I have retained 90% of my customers since day one regarless of raisies prices.