1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone raising rates for 2008?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WHIPPLE5.7, Jan 6, 2008.

1. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

I was going to go up because I started getting real nervous about fuel prices but after I did some calculations its looks like even if I don't go up in price I'll still make decent money and maybe pick a few customers from the guys that keep jacking their rates.
  2. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

We will adjusting our accounts accordingly. In fact I just tallied up all of our hours that the mowers ran on all the accounts that we service. I love to see the numbers but what a pain it is to go and figure it all out. But I know where we stand with all of our accounts. So with that said there are a few that will see increases for the 2008 season.
  3. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

If you dont raise your rates this year, you are going to lose lots of money. Everything has gone up; gas, supplies, etc...We are planning to increase our min from $225 to $242.50 per month. Inflation is hitting us all, and I am not going to lose money for anyone. But what I have decided to do with all of my residential accounts is extend their program to 11 months instead of 10 to help keep prices from going up too much on all my exsisting accounts. So for all my accounts that would go up to $242.50, they will actually decrease to $220 and some change from $225 which was what they were paying in 07. But there is no doubt that there will be increases across the board from us. Our quaility and workmanship should help us retain 90% of all my accounts.
  4. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

"Our quaility and workmanship should help us retain 90% of all my accounts."

I lost customers last year because the of fuel prices and other expenses going up. They absolutely loved my work but by July and August they ended up dropping me because their own money situations were tight. I'm just trying to keep this to a minimum in 2008. I guess it just seems like I'm doing OK money wise and don't seem to care about making every penny count.
  5. bushog

bushog LawnSite Member

We raise our rates every year, usually 3%, after stupidly not raising them for the first 5 years.
  6. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes we will raise but do not state it for gas reasons only state for cost of living.
  7. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Its actually being raised because of higher cost of operation rates. Everyone I have talked with seems to understand, so increases are coming.
  8. backtobasicslawncare

backtobasicslawncare LawnSite Member
    from TN

yea im raising my prices due to gas prices. yea i lost some money last year due to gas.
  9. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Not me! In my area you don't burn a tank a gas a week to get to the houses. I can go a good 3-4 weeks on one 34 gallon tank if i only use the truck for work while maintaining 60+ accounts. I've done it once, and if i really wanted to, i could allways do it. We aren't the only one's who are getting hit by the gas prices. Everyone is. Can you emagine how little truck drivers are making today? Diesel, for some reason that i'll never understand is through the roof! I pay over 110.00 to fill up mine. I feel alot more comfortable driving on regular gas because i know i'm not the only one who has to pay 2.85 for regular, everyone is. Where as diesel guys pay up to .50 cents more a gallon... and for what? Does it cost more money to refine diesel? All i can say is that hopefully gas prices will go down soon. If not, everyone suffers.
  10. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

This works out to a 7.7 % increase ... that's more than inflation !!