1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone really "mulch only" ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wayne Offiler, Aug 24, 2001.

1. Wayne Offiler

Wayne Offiler LawnSite Member

My 52' Bunton WB, with mulch kit usually does a good job of mulching grass. But, when the grass is really tall, really thick, or really wet, I cannot cleanly disperse the clippings, and and have to pull out the Grass Gobbler for the worst portions.
    Does anyone actually never have to bag? If so, I would love to know what you are using.
  2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I mulch in the late spring and summer, and in fall for leaves. In the spring, when it is growing fast, I cut the lawn, and then raise the deck up a little higher and go over it again. The second trip doesn`t take as long, and it distributes the clumps and piles of thick grass good. I have not had to bag all spring by doing this. It definetly does not take as long to do this as bagging. Some of the companies here have said that using double blades is the way to go. No double cutting or bagging. I have not tried the double blades yet.:D
  3. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

I mulch only. If it doesn't look good because grass was long, I make another pass. I do only mulch every time. Both mowers are dedicated mulchers. I have a toro 21 and an eXmark 36 metro.

4. I bag for spring and fall cleanups, and when the grass is really tall.
  5. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Mulch only.

Cut every week=no prob

Occasionally, I may have a few spots to go over twice.
  6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Mulch only with an exmark TT. I dont even own a bag.

If the grass is real tall Ill scatter it with a blower.
  7. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

I use the cage maybe 5-10 times a year.I use mulching blades all year.I have a yard where it is usually wet, so I rasie the deck and mow again.:)
  8. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

last year i only side discarged or mulch except for leaves and scalping dormant turf. minimum bagging this year because of consolidation with other companies. dave g
  9. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

I mulch only. I use the Exmark Bahia blade (solid air foil, longer knife edge) with the mulch kit on a 44 Lazer HP.
  10. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Never Bag. Mulch all year long. Very little problems.