1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone recomend a Honda 21" walkbehind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by erhager, Jan 8, 2008.

1. erhager

erhager LawnSite Member

Needing to know if the 21" Honda commercial series mowers are worth a darn. I havent used one and need to get a new commercial walkbehind. Have any opinions?
  2. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, they are very good machines, though for the money, I recommend the Toro 21 commercial, the drive system is more rugged and simple than the Honda's, I also prefer the faster speed and the handle configuration. But the Honda is a good machine, well built and recycles well.

TNT MOWING LawnSite Member

I have been running a honda home series for the past three years and i have run this commercialy for 5 hours a week plus my father ran it for 7 years before that on our lawn that takes an hour to cut I think honda is a good little 21
  4. jklawns

jklawns LawnSite Member

I run the new honda commercial with the double blades and it does a fantastic job. I have run a toro commercial 21 but I didnt like the cut that much it was not as great as the Honda. The only issue I have with the honda is the rear discharge but I mostly bag and mulch my yards so it is not that big of a deal. The new Honda's are deffinily worth the money and the wight is not that big of a deal.
  5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I have run both Honda and Toro commercial mowers over the years and there both good mowers and will last a very long time with regular maintenance. I prefer Toro's proline 21" for my crew since they seem to take a lot of abuse and use and keep on going. Toro's design is simple and rugged, I have learned over the years simple is better.
  6. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Try them both out, you should be able to get the Hondas for less $. They are the top 2 21" comm. mowers out.
  7. blind04

blind04 LawnSite Member

yes i have had one for about 4 years and for 3 years of that i have done nothing but cuss at the thing. cant beat the motor but the mower itself is just poorly designed and a complete pain to deal with. go with the toro personal pace
  8. hobbes88

hobbes88 LawnSite Member

I have the HRC 216 Commercial. I am not a "Pro" but use it for about 3 hours each weekend in the cutting season on a sloped lawn. Great mower, very reliable, nice cut. I only mulch so have not used the bad yet. Would like more speed sometimes, and there are unoffical hacks to speed up the speed and the power slightly. I am on my 3rd year now. Recomend YES.
  9. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Their great mowers. The one an donly thing i don't like about them is that their pretty heavy. Buy, i'll prob buy another one this coming season. I go with the resedential honda's (have both res. and comm) because their lighter. But, the only thing with that is that i go through about 2 a year. The motor is great, just the trans system on the residential isn't really made for commercial use.
  10. stbentoak

stbentoak LawnSite Member

Mine has been nothing but trouble for the last 2 years Seems to run OK but hydrodrive goes slower and slower, Only choice was to re place it. And I Did too.... With a Quick 32 which will be on order shortly. Not happy with Honda's regional support or a dealer who has had my mower more than I have. AND I used to think Hondas were the best...... :walking:
    Less than 5 yrs old too...