anyone remove lava rock before

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by burninbill, Feb 28, 2005.

1. burninbill

burninbill LawnSite Member

I am bidding a job to remove old red lava rock and replace with river rock. I think this will take 9 man hours to do using a tractor to dump onsite. I have measured the area to be 3736 sq. ft. at about 2-3 inches. What do you guys think it will take in hours with three guys to remove this amount. It has to be hand raked and then scooped by hand into tractor bucket.

Any info would be great.

Thanks,

Jon

2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

3 guys and 9 hours sound about right. It is a pain to get it all unless they have put down weed barrier before the cinder. If no weed barrier count on taking the top 2" of soil also.
    Good luck. I hate removing rock.

3. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

24 labor hours @ 45ph + disposal fee of $200.00

We did a similar job.....the workers hated the last part because all the old lava rock was embedded in the dirt.

4. hwm57

hwm57 LawnSite Member

I was in a rental store here recently and saw literature on a large vac system that was made specifically for removing landscape rock, in fact it had pictures in the literature that showed workers removing lava rock from shrub beds. This unit is on its own trailer and has a hopper that looks as if it will hold a ton or so of rock. As I recall it was very powerful. A search thru the Internet may yield results of what I am describing.

5. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

If there is weedblock fabric down and the lava rock isnt messed up you should try to keep it and sell it. It sells for over $120.00 a yard here in Cincinnati. I could sell it to a customer without too much trouble.

6. burninbill

burninbill LawnSite Member

thanks guys for the info. I would try to sell it but the rock is quite aged and has lost that vibrant red so it looks pretty bad. As far as weed block there is none so it looks like a fun day in the landscape business.

Thanks again,

Jon

7. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

See if your local rental shop has one of these ...RockVac ..It would save many man hours, and you can empty it right into the bucket on your front end loader to dump on site, I think you had said before..I demoed one at Expo a couple of years ago..really sweet machine..