Anyone Repaint Parking Lots in Winter?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grasssin, Sep 21, 2004.

1. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

Thinking to day about winter since the weather here is now a balmy 77 degrees. Does anyone repaint parking spots in parking lots for some spare change? I recall a buddy of a buddy doing it and making a killing. He simply made a stencil out of 2x4's and got a 4" roller and went to work.
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You must be down south some where. I can't tell your location by what you have on your location info.I don't know why people do this,....they put stuff like "Hometown", or U.S., like it's a big secret where they live, or something.
    Anyway, yes, I agree, that if you're in the southern states, that would be a great little market for that..especially if you also paint curb approaches and such.
  3. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

War Eagle happens to be the fight song and battle cry for Auburn University. Auburn University is located in South Eastern Alabama, near the Georgia line. You might have seen us play LSU this weekend. I live in Auburn, and go to school there as well. Not trying to keep it a big secret or anything, just having a little fun with it.
  4. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

A 2x4 to stripe lots , thats like using a old reel mower to mow lawns for a living. They make parking lot stripers , which make short work of striping.
    I would love to see this guy paint lines like that. Parking lot maintenance is a whole industry in itself , striping is rather profitable along with sealcoating , sweeping and asphalt repair and paving. It cost more two enter these fields but the competition is less and the margins are higher .
  5. Nitro Junkie

Nitro Junkie LawnSite Member
    from va

my full time job is @ a civil engineering firm. Contractors hire parking lot painters. They are the guys that paint the curbs , travel way lines, parking stripes , you name it. You would need some serious equipment to make it profitable, and they paint they use isnt cheap either ! And is some areas they have to be inspected as well.