Anyone run 2 small z's?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Smitty58, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

We have a 21hp 48" Ferris 1500 and a 36" MTD Pro w/b now. I would like to sell the MTD to move up to a hydro w/b ,however for basically the same money I can get a Gravely 34"z. So then I looked at Gravely's site and the specs and with the length of the 34z we could get 2 of these in our 12' enclosed. So it got me thinking, would a 2 34"z setup be a good move. It would be small enough for gates and not scare the lil ole ladies like the bigger z's do. And on the bigger props we could run both 34's and keep the stripe patterns consistant unlike now with a 36 and a 48. So what do you think?

2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

So you want to drop down to a smaller, less productive mower JUST to keep the stripe pattern the same???

How often is that really needed? Just mow the whole lawn with the larger mower while the helper trims/edges/blows.
    And if there is a gate that requires a smaller mower, then it really won't matter if the stripe pattern is the same from front yard to back yard. Use the bigger one in front, smaller one through gate to the back.

I just don't see enough advantages to warrant locking yourself into two smaller, less productive mowers.

If you definitely want to go with a PAIR of mowers, have you considered a couple of the Cub Cadet Z-Wings? They are very compact so they shouldn't "scare off the old ladies" as you say. They fit well on a trailer with the wings up. They are quite affordable considering the big motor and wing feature.
    They should fit through the same gates your current MTD fits through, but then you get to cut with a 48" deck!.

Going this route you would accomplish what you wanted to do with the Gravely 34Z, but you would INCREASE productivity, instead of DECREASE it like in your plan.

Just something to think about.

3. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

You are right gogetter ,probably makes more sense to stay with the 48z and either change the 36 w/b to a hydro or a 34z. Then if we have a 48z and a 34z we can do any property while riding.