Anyone run a Ford w/ a 460?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Albery's Lawn & Tractor, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a '91 F450 Dumptruck w/ a 12' bed that I am considering using as a daily work truck for my lawn route. My F150 does fine pulling the 16' V-Nose but it seems I am always dueing sometype of extra work where I have to put shrub clippings, tree limbs, old plants, dead flowers and stuff in the back of my truck. My current truck (V6 5spd) is only getting 11 MPG. The F450 has a big 460 that pulls great, and has decent power for a big truck but when we haul dirt or the big tractor we are always having to fill up. Do any of you guys run a truck like this daily? Eventually I'd like to get a 20 or 24' enclosed to keep all the mowers in so this size truck would come in handy.

2. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 96 f350 with the 460 I used to use it as a daily driver before I got the 97 in January. Mine gets about 7 pulling and 10 empty. Now it stays hooked to the landscape trailer all the time and only gets driven 2 times a week.

3. Americal Vet

Americal Vet LawnSite Senior Member

You might want to consider a tow truck with a diesel engine. Just my .02

4. KTO Enterprises

the 460 is probably the most durable dependable engine built. Mine has been abused like you have no clue and will not quit. A truck will fall apart around a 460.

5. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Ours has just over 70K miles. Tranny rebuilt a few years ago. Haven't been using it much lately. Just tuned her up a couple weeks ago and now runs great. Also might put a skid sprayer in the back next season, not sure though.
    I don't want a truck payment and both of these two are paid for and still run good. Would like a diesel in a few years.

6. Americal Vet

Americal Vet LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, the 460 power plant is one of Ford's greatest engines. Rates right there with the 351 Cleveland, and the dependable 289.

Had a 460 in a Torino in the early 70's, that thing would haul a$$. The diesel engine has just worked better for me in a heavy towing situation. I really can't compare on a personal level because I've never owned a truck with the 460.

7. KTO Enterprises

My 460 truck has 245,000 on it and wont die

8. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I had an '85 F250 with a 460. Extended cab, ice cold air, would pull like an ox on steroids - the only thing it wouldn't do is pass a gas station.
    I swear I'm not making the next part up -
    Pull into the brand new Home Depot parking lot for minor stuff I needed on a job site literally three blocks down the road. Steering becomes real heavy, a bunch of brown, greasy looking smoke floods out from under the hood, motor dies.
    I attempt to re-start, nothing - more smoke.
    I know what is going on, an under the hood fire - but from what?
    Dial 911 as the fire department is a quarter mile away, get there in under three minutes, fire not bad....................YET!!!
    Seems the freaking FD can't figure out how to engage the foam system on the pump truck, are running around and coming unglued and the Fire Chief has to climb on the rig to get things going - the fire is now at the windshield.
    Front tires pop, rims sink into the brand spanking new pavement, the FD people are YELLING back and forth to each other and I start laughing - what else can I do?
    End result, truck totaled and I am back to my old stand by, an '83 F150 4X4 with the in-line six.
    The best part?
    I bought the F250 FROM THE FIRE CHIEF:) :) :)

9. KTO Enterprises

You are not lying. I can roast all 4 back tires on my truck with the race car trailer hooked up fully loaded I can put any diesel truck to shame in a pulling race. more than one have tried on the interstate with me but none succeded. Even with their aftermarket chips blowing all that nasty black smoke.

I could even get from one gas station to the next quicker than them too.

10. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

whaaaaaaaaaaat?! wow, that is something else. did insurance cover it?