Anyone run a Toro WAM Groundsmaster?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by naturescaretaker, Jun 16, 2005.

1. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone out there run a Toro WAM Groundsmaster? I am looking for feedback compared to the JD 1600 WAM.

2. naturescaretaker

I'm looking at the Groundsmaster 580-D

3. extoro

extoro LawnSite Member

Just curious what are you mowing that would require that unit? That is the biggest thing that Toro builds and are a tidy sum of $$$ even used

4. naturescaretaker

I can't say the name of the contract but there are 43 locations with a total of 417 acres to mow every ten days.

5. extoro

extoro LawnSite Member

yep, that would justify that piece of equipment. i don't much about the JD your talking about and can tell you the 580D is one of the most sought after pieces of large mowing units. KC International operates 4 of them so they thought enough of the unit to lay out $65,000 each!!

the part of the country you're in just go talk to one of those golf course - i'm sure they can give you lots of insight.

6. clc2003

clc2003 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ia

Maybe I can help u. I just started to work at a golfcourse for a little extra$. We run both a 580 D and a 455 D. I don't know much about them, but maybe I can find out some info for u if u want. They are both really slick mowers though.

P.S. how are you gonna transport a mower that size? I know both side decks fold up but I would think it would be very wide and not too fun to haul on a trailer all the time. ;) :dizzy:

7. naturescaretaker

I've got a 30+5 gooseneck trailer that is 8' wide.

8. LawnCrafters

LawnCrafters LawnSite Member

We run a '97 580-D. I've never run the JD to compare, but I'm sure I could answer anything you want to know about the Toro.

9. I think you're looking at complete opposites comparing JD to Toro. If you purchase for price you buy JD. If you want the best quality it's Toro.

How about all the ones in between these two? Like the big Jacobsen, or the Howard Price HP180. They both have 16' cuts also. Hustler builds a bat-wing too. Though somewhat smaller.

Why are you picking from the two extremes? Is it a dealer/avability thing?

I've run mine for 5 years. I got it to replace a 12' cut Alamo bat-wing. But the Alamo's an orphan now.

Any questions I could answer? I'll try to help what I can.

Dave

10. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Don't know about the deere. I run 2 455-D's and there awesome. Very little trouble but wow - that is alot of acreage to run every 10 days.