Anyone run full mulch kits on your ZTRs?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ramairfreak98ss, May 12, 2008.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

I bought one two years ago with my 61" ferris. It seemed to work well mulching, but thick stuff i had to take the end baffle AND block off plate off the machine. Being the last baffle took too long On/off, i just ran the block off plate and baffles around the left two blades.

Recently, all of this season, the left two blades cut like %#$ and the right, discharge blade is flawless. WTF?

since last year, to minimize clumping, i ran two stock blades in the mulching area, and one gator in the discharge side. I figured maybe they were dull, or whatever, so i changed all to sharpened gators again.. Cutting with it yesterday, no matter if it was thin or high/thick lawns, the left two most blades with the mulch baffle parts cut horrible, left most of the grass behind still uncut while the discharge blade was perfect. The deck isnt clogged and i just scrapped it down a week ago, what else could it be?

Im at the point that im just going to take the two small baffles off. They arnt fully enclosed baffles, theyre only pieces in the shape of a "V" so that one blade cannot feed the next blade too quickly and forces it to chop it up better.

Ive seen a JD 757 with a Mulch on Demand 7 iron in mulch mode cut perfect.

My 48" is1500z and 72" 3100z cut 100x better too no matter which blades are used.

2. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I had so much trouble with my mulch kit this year I took it off. The grass seems more sappy this year than in the past. I also did ok with it the past few years, although I has never 100% happy with the cut.

Now my JD cuts better than I could have imagined. I should have took the mulch kit off the day I bought it. I did buy a power chute, because I have some tight spots around flower beds that I want to avoid blowing clippings in. It has not arrived yet though.

3. MortonLawn

MortonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I use a mulch kit on my Toro Z. Works great on St Augustine Grass! 52" 27 hp Toro Z master