Anyone run mulch blades all the time?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by justmjc, Mar 16, 2004.

1. justmjc

justmjc LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone run the mulch blades all the time with or without the baffles? Do this blades perform better or as well as the standard blades? Please share your experiences with the blades used alone and if there is any noticable difference.

2. KL Squared

KL Squared LawnSite Member

I run gator mulch blades year long. They work well in reducing the size of the clippings and on leaves. I swear by them.

3. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

I run doubles all year. High lifts and gators.

4. noiseyvoyzey

noiseyvoyzey LawnSite Member

How well does that work for you in the AM? i run gators and in the am i find myself double (sometimes triple) cutting to dispense the clippings.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I just run gators in spring and fall.

1. spring- gators
    2. end of spring through beginning of fall- high lifts
    3. fall- gators

6. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

No problems at all. What mower do you have?

7. noiseyvoyzey

noiseyvoyzey LawnSite Member

52in toro hydro 20hp kohler. you run high lifts on bottom with gators on top?

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Gators (single or double) we run only in the Fall...

9. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

On my Toro Z588E, I run Atomics until I can get Gator Magnums, I mulch and side discharge with this blade type, smaller, shreaded clippings, still plenty of throw with lots of air velocity.

High lifts in thick grass may give less streaking than Atomics, but as an alrounder this style of blade is good for me.

I only run singles too, so far.

10. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

I run with mulchers probably 98% of the time. I have the full baffle kit that exmark offers. Mulching is better for the lawn and saves an amazing amount of time vs bagging. If clumps are left behind (usually during spring rainy season) i can either double mow or use my blower to break apart a few clumps left behind. The big difference i found i when shutting off the blades in wet weather. You tend to DUMP a huge load from under the deck. I tell my employees to shut em off in the grass so we can rake it up. Other than that i have no issues. I love having maybe half a truck load of grass (21" lawns) at the end of a full week of mowing.