Anyone run w/b's only

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Smitty58, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

We bought a bew Ferris 1500 this yr and have not been happy. Now we are thinking about swithching to 2 w/b's instead of 1 z and 1 w/b. We have had a few customers complain about the z and the quality of cut is just not there. So we are wondering if 2 hydro walks would be better. I like the Exmarks and that is what I'm leaning towards. We do residentials although we want to get into small commercial props so do we really need a fast z? What do you think? What kind of prices are the Exmark hydro w/b's?

2. Bret's Lawn Care

Bret's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

just looked ayt a exmark 48 for 5399
    give me which ones you want cause i have a price list for all exmarks

3. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

But just switched to a Z Master and have not had any complaints what so ever. The cut quality I think is a big improvement and my customers have been pleased as well.

4. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking for the best bang for my buck basically ,but I want 2. We have 1 36 belt MTD Pro that actually cuts real nice that we could keep I just hate the pistol grips.

5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

OK…. This what I have…. All Hustler SWB’s. To get the BS over, yeah they are a bit longer, so what??? They fit in the trailer and length is absolutely nothing when mowing. Furthermore, being longer they track better.
    I have one 48 for walking only, one 48 for walking or velkying, and one 54 for only velkying.
    We smoke all the guy’s with riders. Even the 54/velky is great on a 40’x40’ lawn.
    For what it’s worth, the 48 is a full 49”, also most regular 48’s are actually only 47.5”. Next, the 54 is a full 55”, while other 54’s are only 53.5”.
    The 48 is 23 hp and 54 is 25 hp. These machines are every bit equal to a ZTR in power and more.

6. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Lesco makes a 52hydro WB 19 kaw with a war charriot for 4000$.

7. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

I don't see how.

I have both and except on very very small lawns the Zs always out perform walk behinds.

Walk behinds are great for hills/inclines and sensitive areas that you don't want the weight of a Z to be on.

But, other than that a Z is far superior.

I personally love walk behinds and they definitely have a purpose in lawn care but....

8. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

I will back him on this z are a thrid faster but i have some residential that are picky my wb make the cut look better.

9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Now why would that be??
    We're talking WB with a good velky, yes???
    Both have the same top end (for normal mowing), and the WB/velky turns quicker than the Z. So, why should it be slower??

10. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I will ride any day than standing on a sulky. Sulky is better than walking but bouncing around on a sulky has got put a strain on your knees. \

No my back does not bother me when riding since I have a Hustler ztr with those great riding springy seats.

I Hustler ztr beats out a Hustler WB everyday. :D