Anyone running an s-10 (or similar) with small trailer?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by merrimacmill, Feb 27, 2008.

1. merrimacmill

merrimacmill LawnSite Senior Member

We've been looking into getting into the lawn care/grounds maintenance industry as an extension of our property management company. We have a good amount of equipment already to do our own lawns, but since we will be doing this commercially, we are looking at getting bobcat walk behind and a small enclosed trailer. I would like to get a small enclosed trailer that can be towed behind our little s-10 runner truck. For starters I plan on having a one man crew and seeing where that brings us. So I was looking at a 5x8 haulmark V nose enclosed trailer to start off with. I think that this would be a good start since we'd only be carrying one 48" walk behind, a 22" walk behind, a few trimmers and hand tools. Instead of putting a newer employee in our new gmc 3500 everyday, I'd much rather have them use the s-10. Not to mention fuel costs.

So basically my question, what do you think for a trailer? 5x8? It is a 4 cylinder, reg cab, and has a tow hitch already installed from the previous owner. Is this a plausible idea, or just foolish?

I do already have a 14 foot dual axle landscape trailer for our tractor, but its WAY too much for the s10 and I need it to be enclosed.

2. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

You should always try to purchase a truck you can "grow" into. I think your making a mistake with anything less than a 1/2 ton.

3. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

I believe he already owns the s-10. id be more concerned about the trailer. maybe look into getting a 6x12. but then you can haul it with your s-10 so your really kind of stuck there. if all you will ever run is a 48 and a 21 youd be fine with the 5x8 but if you plan on expanded at all you would have to purchase a new trailer.

4. merrimacmill

merrimacmill LawnSite Senior Member

We do already own the s-10. We also own a 2006 gmc 3500 duramax. I just don't see where the 3500 would be required for day to day mowing with a couple mowers. I did come across a lightly used 6X10 enclosed with ramp door, and side entrance door for $2300 I believe. Do you guys think an s-10 could handle a 6X10? I've never towed with it, we just use it to run to the store, post office, just errand stuff..

5. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

it would only be necessary if you had gotten a bigger trailer. but if your only going to be using a 48 the 5x8 trailer would be fine for you. unless you wanted to expand and get a bigger mower or 2 mowers. then a new trailer would be necessary and then you would need to be hauling it with the 3500.

6. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

i would do a 5x8 or 5x10 OPEN trailer, but i dont know about running that enclosed everyday on an S10, unless its a 6cyl

7. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

i run a s-10 crew only, but we only use two 21" mowers, for yards under 2000sf around intown city.

8. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Check that hitch...you'll want at least a class III.

An enclosed trailer and that 4 cyl truck will likely not work well at hwy speeds...

9. Mowinforaliving

Mowinforaliving LawnSite Bronze Member

10. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a great ideal, which I have now done. The beds cost around 1500 bucks. Mine are on 4 cyl rangers.