anyone running caseys fuel in equipment?

Discussion in 'Alternative Fuel Forum' started by lawnsaspire, Mar 3, 2013.

1. lawnsaspire

lawnsaspire LawnSite Bronze Member

i keep hearing about the adverse effects of ethanol on small engines. only place around here that sels it without is caseys 87 octane. anyone here using it? my dealer says its crap my dad loves it for his car.????
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. rungreen

rungreen LawnSite Member

Used it for years no problems.

3. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

According to pure-gas.org there's a HyVee in Quincy that also sells 87 octane fuel. Hoping there's a neighboring town with ethanol-free mid-grade or premium for your mix gas.

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=IL

4. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

In handhelds, I think ethanol can potentially cause problems. I usually have to replace carbs on handhelds every couple of years. For larger equipment, namely mowers, I honestly don't think it makes a bit of difference. Ethanol is a solvent, so it actually cleans the fuel system. I often use Casey's fuel, but I get the ethanol blend 89 octane. It is always the same price as the "straight" 87.

5. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

My thinking is that 2-strokes are more carbon-prone making the use of ethanol-free fuel that much more important...as well as using mid-grade or premium as per manu's owner's manuals. I've used nothing but ethanol-free premium in my mix..and glad to have the choice.

The only time I've had a a 2-stroke issue is when I added Startron to my mix...which I'll never do again, btw. (I kept finding micro chunks of carbon in the sparkplug gap of my RM BP :cry:)

I do add Startron or Seafoam to my straight gas every-so-often as well as using it in my truck's tank occasionally.

6. lawnsaspire

thanks for the feedback guys! I didn't realize they moved my post other wise I would've replied earlier. I'll give Casey's a try. I recently had hundreds of dollars of engine repair done on my Scag. Major carbon and gum build up on the valves. My dealer said it was due to "bad gas". I know the problems were legit because of oil consumption that was going on and they sent me pictures of their work. What I'm not sure of is the reason he gave me as a cause of the problems. Either way, I'm going to try the ethanol free fuel and start using sea-foam and see if this helps. Thanks.

7. lawnsaspire

Do you use the non-ethanol gas from there Rungreen?